WATR09004 2018 Asset Management and Resilience
This module introduces the principles and practices of Asset Management as set out in the ISO 55000 series of International Standards (ISO 55000/55001/55002) and in the Institute of Asset Management Conceptual Asset Management Model. The module focuses on the application of asset management theory to practical issues in the Water Services sector such as Risk Assessment, management of the Maintenance function, the identification and classification of various events, incidents and disasters specifically related to water services, and the development and testing of appropriate responses.
The module also addresses the evaluation of alternative capital and operating project options using a life-cycle approach and the application of the Net Present Value methodology.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Apply the framework contained in ISO 55000 - 55002 and the Institute of Asset Management Conceptual Model for Asset Management to the management of a water services sector operation.
Critically assess various approaches to the identification, assessment and mitigation of risk and exploitation of opportunities relating to asset management.
Discuss the factors that should be considered in the management of maintenance activities, including both preventive and corrective maintenance management methodologies.
Evaluate alternative capital and operating project options using a life-cycle approach and applying the Net Present Value methodology
Prepare appropriate plans relating to potential incidents and disasters specifically related to the water services sector.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
This module will be delivered using blended learning techniques. This will include online lectures (via Adobe Connect or similar), workshops and site visits augmented by independent learning and directed learning. This approach is expected to address student-learning needs. Moodle will be used to upload educational material (i.e. presentations and recordings of online lectures plus supplementary reading material) and as a means of assessment (e.g. quizzes, uploading assignments and journals). This blended approach (lectures and workshops) brings students together to facilitate group learning.
Module Assessment Strategies
This module is 50% Continuous Assessment and 50% Final Exam.
Assessment will consist of two MCQs in weeks 4 - 6 and 8 - 10.
A practical assignment (given in weeks 2 - 4) must be submitted in weeks 10 - 12.
Repeat Continuous Assessment and/or Final Exam.
1. Apply the framework contained in ISO 55000 - 55002 and the Institute of Asset Management Conceptual Model for Asset management to the management of a water services sector operation.
- Detailed review of the three International Standards relating directly to Asset Management - ISO 55000, ISO 55001 and ISO 55002.
- Selected topics from the Institute of Asset Management Conceptual Model for Asset management
2. Critically assess various approaches to the identification, assessment and mitigation of risk and exploitation of opportunities relating to asset management.
Risk management policies and strategies, development and implementation of risk management processes, alignment of strategic, tactical and operational risks.
3. Discuss the factors that should be considered in the management of maintenance activities, including both preventive and corrective maintenance management methodologies.
- Resources needed to support maintenance assurance processes
- Responsibilities for asset maintenance delivery and improvement
- Integration of maintenance delivery processes other organisation functions
- Definition and documentation of maintenance requirements in specifications and standards
- Maintenance execution procedures
- Procedures for missed maintenance
- Maintenance data management
4. Evaluate alternative capital and operating project options using a life-cycle approach and applying the Net Present Value methodology.
- Defining the scope of proposed investments
- Consideration of all lifecycle costs
- Selection of appropriate discount factors
- Application of the Net Present Value methodology to assess proposed investments
5. Prepare appropriate plans relating to potential incidents and disasters specifically related to the water services sector.
- Risk Management policies
- Development and Execution of Risk Management processes
- Alignment of Strategic, Tactical and Operational risks
- Risk mitigation strategies
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||MCQ1 (week 4 - 6)||Continuous Assessment||Multiple Choice||10 %||Week 4||1,2|
|2||MCQ2 (week 8 - 10)||Continuous Assessment||Multiple Choice||10 %||Week 10||3,4|
|3||Practical Assignment (week 10 - 12)||Continuous Assessment||Assignment||30 %||Week 15||5|
End of Semester / Year Assessment
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||FT||Final Exam||Closed Book Exam||50 %||End of Semester||1,2,3,4,5|
Online Learning Mode Workload
|Online Lecture||Online||Online Lecture||1||Weekly||1.00|
|Directed Learning||Online||Directed Learning||1||Weekly||1.00|
|Workshop||Offsite||Workshop||4||Once Per Module||0.27|
|Independent Learning||Not Specified||Independent Learning||5||Weekly||5.00|
A range of relevant websites will be uploaded directly to the subject Moodle page by the lecturer as required.
ISO 2014 ISO 55000 Asset management — Overview, principles and terminology
ISO 2014 ISO 55001 Asset management — Management systems — Requirements
ISO 2014 ISO 55002 Asset management — Management systems — Requirements — Guidelines for the application of ISO 55001
Institute of Asset Management (2015) Asset management - an anatomy Ver. 3
Irish Government Department of Defence 2017 A National Risk Assessment for Ireland 2017
Irish Government Department of Housing, Planning, Community & Local Government (DHPCLG) Guidance Document 14: A Guide to Severe Weather Emergencies 2010
Global Forum on Maintenance and Asset Management (GFMAM) 2014 The Asset Management Landscape Second Ed., GFMAM,ISBN 978-0-9871799-2-0
US EPA 2014 Flood Resilience - A Basic Guide for Water and Wastewater Utilities EPA 817-B-14-006
US EPA 20007 Effective Risk and Crisis Communication during Water Security Emergencies Summary Report of EPA Sponsored Message Mapping Workshops EPA/600/R-07/027