WATR06004 2018 Wastewater Treatment Plant Maintenance
This module will provide the learner with the essential practical skills and knowledge relating to wastewater treatment plant process operation, maintenance schedules, and pumping, motor and electrical aspects of plant systems. The module shall also address chemical storage, dosing and overall safety issues for wastewater treatment plant processes.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Identify and describe the key wastewater treatment plant maintenance and operational processes.
Compile and apply maintenance schedules appropriate to municipal wastewater treatment plant processes and efficient plant operation.
Apply knowledge of motor, drive and pump operation and potential electrical, mechanical and pumping issues to prevent and solve operational problems with wastewater treatment plant process equipment and develop good maintenance practices.
Outline and explain the key characteristics and application of key safety systems relating to wastewater treatment plant processes, maintenance, chemical dosing and other operational practices.
Have knowledge of current asset management approaches to wastewater services maintenance and investment plans and be able to appreciate the use of technology readiness level for new and emerging technologies for plant equipment upgrades or replacement.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
The teaching and learning strategy is based on the provision of on-line lectures, tutorials and group
workshops that incorporate elements of enquiry and project-based learning along with practical laboratory demonstrations, case study assignments, and guest lecturers.
Module Assessment Strategies
Final written examination and continuous assessment consisting of Moodle MCQ assessment (multiple choice quiz), workshop laboratory practical, and an individual practical case study assignment involving a written report.
The learner must undertake repeat final written examination and/or continuous assessment project
work depending on the particular failed element to achieve an overall pass grade.
1. Wastewater treatment plant operational processes and associated equipment.
2. Maintenance practices, protocols and schedules for efficient wastewater treatment plant process operation. Preventative maintenance methods and schedules. Routine plant operations, maintenance and logging of practices.
3. Assessment of plant equipment upgrade, replacement and repair requirements utilising energy efficient, economic, and resilient technologies. Irish Water protocols and capital investment plans. Use of logs to record plant maintenance operations and equipment upgrades.
4. Pump selection and sizing, pumping operational aspects, maintenance issues and energy efficiencies. Variable speed drives and other sustainable pump technologies. P & ID Diagrams and Systems.
5. Wastewater treatment plant motors, drives and electrical power supply operational and maintenance aspects.
6. Use and dosing of chemicals in wastewater treatment processes. Handling, dosing, and safety issues associated with chemicals.
7. Safe practices and methods for routine wastewater treatment plant operational and maintenance tasks and processes.
8. HSA and Irish Water Health and Safety guidance relating to sampling, testing, maintenance, dosing and M & E operational practices.
9. Introduction to the asset management approach to capital maintenance and investment of wastewater services. Recording of plant asset information and condition.
10. Procurement of products and equipment. Introduction to Technology Readiness Level (TRL) for critical plant equipment processes and innovative technologies. Overview of plant and equipment upgrade and replacement evaluation and protocols.
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Moodle quiz||Continuous Assessment||Multiple Choice||10 %||Week 7||1,2,3|
|2||Written Report||Project||Assignment||20 %||Week 12||2,3,4,5,6|
|3||Workshop Laboratory Practical||Practical||Practical Evaluation||10 %||Week 10||3,4|
End of Semester / Year Assessment
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Final written examination||Final Exam||Closed Book Exam||60 %||End of Semester||1,2,3,4,5,6|
Online Learning Mode Workload
|Online Lecture||Online||On-line Lecture||1||Weekly||1.00|
|Directed Learning||Online||Directed Learning||1||Weekly||1.00|
|Laboratory Practical||Engineering Laboratory||Workshop||4||Once Per Semester||0.27|
|Independent Learning||Not Specified||Independent learning||5||Weekly||5.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
2013-10-21 Handbook of Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant Operations, Third Edition CRC Press
Handbook of Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant Operations the first thorough resource manual developed exclusively for water and wastewater plant operators has been updated and expanded. An industry standard now in its third edition, this book addresses management issues and security needs, contains coverage on pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs), and includes regulatory changes. The author explains the material in laymans terms, providing real-world operating scenarios with problem-solving practice sets for each scenario. This provides readers with the ability to incorporate math with both theory and practical application. The book contains additional emphasis on operator safety, new chapters on energy conservation and sustainability, and basic science for operators.
Whats New in the Third Edition:
- Prepares operators for licensure exams
- Provides additional math problems and solutions to better prepare users for certification exams
- Updates all chapters to reflect the developments in the field
- Enables users to properly operate water and wastewater plants and suggests troubleshooting procedures for returning a plant to optimum operation levels
A complete compilation of water science, treatment information, process control procedures, problem-solving techniques, safety and health information, and administrative and technological trends, this text serves as a resource for professionals working in water and wastewater operations and operators preparing for wastewater licensure exams. It can also be used as a supplemental textbook for undergraduate and graduate students studying environmental science, water science, and environmental engineering.
2017 Hands On Water and Wastewater Equipment Maintenance, Volume 1 Routledge
Irish Water Wastewater Treatment Asset Standards and Specifications