SPOR06036 2016 Anatomy and Physiology
This module examines the fundamentals of anatomy and physiology. The module is pitched at an introductory level and is designed to support students coming from a non science/biology background. The content will also support many other physical activity based modules delivered later in the programme.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Describe cells and their functions.
Describe the digestive system.
Describe the urinary system.
Describe the the cardiorespiratory system.
Describe the endocrine system.
Describe the nervous systems in terms of co-ordination and control of movement.
Describe the muscular system.
Describe the skeletal system.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
This module is a blend of theoretical lectures, online and problem based learning. Class based workshops will enable the student to apply some of this knowledge.
Module Assessment Strategies
Both formative and summative assessment allows the learner to develop a sense of progress along the learning curve. The aim of the summative assessment is to measure student knowledge competency. The learner will also be expected to demonstrate their knowledge through presentation, illustration and problem based learning.
Normal repeat assessment procedures will apply.
1.0 HUMAN CELL BIOLOGY AND FUNCTION
1.1 Identify the role of cells.
1.2 Identify composite cell structures and function.
1.3 Identify the roleof nucleic acids - DNA & RNA.
1.4 Describe the stages of cell division or mitosis.
1.5 Explain the movement of substrates aross the cell membrane.
2.0 DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
2.1 Describe the digestive tract.
2.2 Describe the functions of the organs of digestion.
2.3 Explain the process of digestion and role of key enzymes.
2.4 Describe the role of water and process of absorption.
3.0 URINARY SYSTEM
3.1 Identify the structure of the kidney.
3.2 Explain the function of the kidney.
3.3 Describe the influence of ADH on urine concentration.
3.4 Describe the urinary bladder and ureters.
3.5 Explain urine formation and excretion.
4.0 CARDIORESPIRATORY SYSTEM
4.1 Describe the function and constituents of blood.
4.2 Illustrate the anatomy of the heart.
4.3 Describe the cardiac cycle and cardiac output.
4.4 Expalin pulse rate and blood pressure.
4.5 Anatomy of the lungs.
4.6 Describe the organs of the respiratory system.
4.7 Describe breathing mechanism.
4.8 Explain alveolar gas exchange.
5.0 ENDOCRINE SYSTEM
5.1 Describe the general characteristics of the endocrine system.
5.2 Explain hormone action
5.3 Explain the control of hormonal secretions.
5.4 Identify the role of specific glands; Pituitary, Thyroid, Parathyroid, Adrenal, Pancreas.
5.4 Explain physiological responses to stress.
6.0 NERVOUS SYSTEM
6.1 Describe the central nervous system
6.2 Describe the peripheral nervous system
6.3 Describe the autonomic nervous system.
6.4 Illustrate the structure and function of sensory and motor neurons.
6.5 Describe the synapse and movement control.
7.0 SKELETAL SYSTEM
7.1 Describe the axial and appendicular skeleton.
7.2 Describe bone structure and bone types.
7.3 Describe synovial joint structure and movement.
7.4 Explain bone development and growth.
7.5 Identify the curves of the spine.
8.0 MUSCULAR SYSTEM
8.1 Identify different types of muscle.
8.2 Identify major muscle groups of the body.
8.3 Describe muscle actions.
8.4 Describe the structure of skeletal muscle.
8.5 Explain muscle contraction.
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Presentation||Continuous Assessment||Group Project||30 %||Week 7||4,5|
|2||Moodle Exam||Continuous Assessment||Multiple Choice||20 %||Week 5||1,2,3|
End of Semester / Year Assessment
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Exam||Final Exam||Closed Book Exam||50 %||End of Semester||1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8|
Full Time Mode Workload
Required & Recommended Book List
2014-01-16 Essentials of Human Anatomy & Physiology Plus MasteringA&P with eText -- Access Card Package (11th Edition) Pearson
ISBN 0321918754 ISBN-13 9780321918758
ALERT: Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products.
Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase.
Used or rental books
If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code.
Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase.
--For one-semester A&P courses
A Bestseller Revitalized with a Modern Design and Robust Media
Now in its Eleventh Edition, the best-selling Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology continues to set the standard for one-semester A&P texts. With her hallmark clear and friendly writing style and meaningful analogies, Elaine Marieb emphasizes the relevance of anatomy & physiology to your life and future career. Now fully integrated with MasteringA&P, the book continues to offer just the right balance of anatomy, physiology, and clinical coverage to make the content complete, but not overwhelming. New clinical photos in the Homeostatic Imbalance feature help you visualize diseases and disorders and new integrated Concept Links help you make connections across topics and body systems. A new, more modern design makes the book more accessible than ever, and new specific references to MasteringA&P direct you to study tools and resources that reinforce your understanding of chapter concepts.
Written specifically for the one-semester course, this text presents a superior teaching and learning experience for you. The program allows you to:
- Personalize learning with MasteringA&P: MasteringA&P provides you with engaging experiences that coach you through tough topics in A&P, with tools that help you visualize, practice, and understand A&P.
- Bring A&P concepts to life and provide real-world context: A dramatic art and photo program features 3-D anatomy illustrations, process figures with descriptive step text, realistic bone art, illustrated tables, and new clinical photographs in the Homeostatic Imbalance feature.
- Help with Studying and Retaining Information: Effective pedagogy, including new Concept Links, Did You Get It? concept check questions, figure questions, and end-of-chapter review questions help you study and retain the information you need.
0321918754 / 9780321918758 Essentials of Human Anatomy & Physiology Plus MasteringA&P with eText -- Access Card Package
Package consists of:
0321919009 / 9780321919007 Essentials of Human Anatomy & Physiology
0321957121 / 9780321957122 MasteringA&P with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for Essentials of Human Anatomy & Physiology
2011-03-01 Exercise Physiology: Integrating Theory and Application LWW
ISBN 0781783518 ISBN-13 9780781783514
2014-09-22 Memmler's The Human Body in Health and Disease LWW
ISBN 1451192800 ISBN-13 9781451192803
Continuing the tradition of excellence that has made the book a classic, this edition prepares students for success in their healthcare careers through easy-to-understand, beautifully illustrated coverage of the essentials of human anatomy, physiology, and the effects of disease. Throughout the book, anatomical art illustrates concepts with accuracy, simplicity, and elegance; medical case studies enhanced with additional clinical content demonstrate the relevance of the content to a career in the health professions; and unique pedagogy helps students master the anatomic and medical terminology they will encounter in healthcare settings.
Now more engaging, easier to learn from, and easier to remember than ever before, the Thirteenth Edition features a clear, friendly writing style; a dramatically enhanced design, photo, and art program; a wide array of in-text and online learning tools tailored to the needs of allied health students; and an unparalleled suite of instructor and student resources designed to save you time and help your students succeed.
- Personalized chapter quizzes powered by prepU help each student learn more, while giving you a window into your students' progress by highlighting misconceptions, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Chapter pre-quizzes help students pinpoint areas of focus.
- Online animations make complex concepts and processes easier to understand.
- An online learning style assessment helps students identify their personal learning style, so that they can maximize their use of the wide range of online learning activities on thePoint.
- Eleven different types of learning activities, including multiple-choice, true/false, key terms, fill-in-the-blank, look and label, audio flash cards, word anatomy, piece it together, zooming in, listen and label, and body building, help students study and review.
- An audio glossary pronounces and defines key medical terms.
- Supplemental images and tables enhance student understanding
- Study and test-taking tips help students master chapter content and prepare for exams.
- Career Information boxes showcase a variety of health careers.
- Answers to the texts Questions for Study and Review help students master key concepts.
- Maximize your study time, improve your performance on exams, and succeed in this course with the for-sale Study Guide.
- Personalized chapter quizzes powered by prepU help each student learn more and give you a window into your students' progress by highlighting misconceptions, strengths, and weaknesses.
- An improved online Instructor's Manual provides a wide range of resources to support your teaching, including tips for using the book in a flipped classroom or for online learning.
- A robusttest generatorbank makes building tests and exams quick and easy.
- A complete image bank with additional images enhances lecture and exam preparation.
- Online animations can be incorporated into your lectures to help your students better understand complex concepts and processes.
- Answers to Study Guide Questions are provided for your convenience.
- Lesson Plans make the text easier to teach from.
- Pre-loaded PowerPoint presentations speed lecture preparation.
In addition, you can package the text with a number of books and resources, depending on your course goals and teaching preferences.
- For a greater focus on medical terminology, package the text with Barbara Cohens, Medical Terminology: An Illustrated Guide 7e.
- To increase students success and pass rates in the course, package the text with prepU.
- To give your students even more opportunities to practice and review, package the text with the Study Guide.
- To provide your students with the ultimate success package, bundle the text with prepU and the Study Guide.
- To give your students a clinically based on-line lab experience without expensive equipment, package the text with A.D.A.M. Interactive Anatomy Online: Student Lab Activity Guide, 4e.
2011-05-03 Anatomy and Physiology For Dummies For Dummies
ISBN 0470923261 ISBN-13 9780470923269
Learn about the human body from the inside out
Every year, more than 100,000 degrees are completed in biology or biomedical sciences. Anatomy and physiology classes are required for these majors and others such as life sciences and chemistry, and also for students on a pre-med track. These classes also serve as valuable electives because of the importance and relevance of this subject's content. Anatomy and Physiology For Dummies, 2nd Edition, appeals to students and life-learners alike, as a course supplement or simply as a guide to this intriguing field of science.
With 25 percent new and revised content, including updated examples and references throughout, readers of the new edition will come to understand the meanings of terms in anatomy and physiology, get to know the body's anatomical structures, and gain insight into how the structures and systems function in sickness and health.
- New examples, references, and case studies
- Updated information on how systems function in illness and in health
- Newest health discovers and insights into how the body works
Written in plain English and packed with dozens of beautiful illustrations, Anatomy & Physiology For Dummies is your guide to a fantastic voyage of the human body.
2015-10-08 Memmler's Structure and Function of the Human Body, SC LWW
ISBN 1496317726 ISBN-13 9781496317728
Filled with compelling case studies that connect key content to real-world health care scenarios, Memmlers Structure and Function of the Human Body, 11th Edition, provides easy-to-understand, beautifully illustrated coverage of the essentials of normal anatomy and physiology. The first text designed specifically to meet the needs of allied health students, this acclaimed resource has evolved over the years to address changing course requirements and student needs. This edition continues the tradition with a new, more accessible design, a wide range of new study tools, and a robust multimedia electronic ancillary package for both instructors and students.
Throughout the book, anatomic art illustrates concepts with accuracy and simplicity; case studies highlighting anatomy and physiology demonstrate the relevance of the content to a career in the health professions; and hallmark pedagogy blends remediation, reinforcement, and real-world focus to ensure student success.
A&P in Action boxes open each chapter with a scenario that integrates chapter content into a medical setting, bringing the information to life for students.
A&P in Action Revisited boxes, which appear later in the chapter, expand on the opening scenario and encourage students to apply the chapters concepts to the outcome of each case.
A full-body The Body Visible transparency insert assists students in performing a virtual dissection of the human body from skin down to bone and allows them to test themselves on their understanding of skin, muscles, bones, veins/arteries, etc. New associated chapter questions deepen student understanding.
New Process Diagrams ensure student mastery by calling out and illustrating the steps of a complex process, such as negative feedback control for maintaining homeostasis.
New Cadaver Photograph-related Questions help students apply anatomic knowledge to novel situations.
New Casepoints (in-chapter review questions) link content to the opening case study.
New Critical Thinking Questions that challenge students to apply concepts to the A&P in Action case study help them to understand how basic concepts of anatomy and physiology relate to clinical situations.
New Misconception Alerts, marked by an icon, point out common student misconceptions (identified by the prepU adaptive quizzing program) to improve understanding of important ideas.
New One Step at a Time features expand on basic science concepts introduced in the case study or the text by walking students step-by-step through higher level critical thinking activities, such as developing scientific learning and problem-solving skills.
Checkpoint questions throughout each chapter help students review key points.
Hot Topics boxes focus on cutting-edge topics and research, reinforcing the link between anatomy and physiology and everyday life.
Clinical Perspectives boxes focus on diseases and disorders related to the chapter, helping students understand what happens when the normal structure-function relationship breaks down.
Health Maintenance boxes offer useful information on how to keep the body healthy.
A Closer Look boxes provide in-depth scientific detail on selected topics.
Zooming In questions in the figure captions allow students to test their understanding of important visual aspects of the illustration.
A Look Back feature provides a short paragraph highlighting content from prior chapters that will help students understand the current chapter.
Learning Objectives identify the important content to learn in each chapter.
A strong conceptual focus is reflected in more illustrations of basic biologic concepts and more learning diagrams that take students step-by-step through complex processes, such as sensory pathways, cardiac function, and nerve impulse transmission.
Ancillary callouts identify additional resources available online, such as animations, supplementary figures, a quiz bank, and health career information to enhance learning.
End-of-chapter study aids include a summary overview (visual outline), key terms (end-of-chapter list), a word anatomy (medical terminology) activity, and questions for study and review that test recall, comprehension, and critical thinking with a variety of question styles, including fill-in-the-blank, multiple-choice, short-answer, and short essay, as well as questions that require students to apply body process and system knowledge to the chapter-opening case study.