RSCH08008 2016 Business Research Methods
The aim of this module is to equip learners with the skills and competencies necessary to complete a level 8 dissertation.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
1. Articulate what is academic research?
2. Demonstrate an ability to complete a literature review
3. Design appropriate research methodology
4. Appreciate the need for research ethics
5. Develop a relevant business research dissertation proposal
Teaching and Learning Strategies
Lecturers and student indepedent learning.
Module Assessment Strategies
Written dissertation proposal 80%
Oral presentation 20%
Written dissertation proposal 80%
Oral presentation 20%
Introduction to research methods
- Defintion and scope of research
- Articulate the research problem
- Appreciate purpose of literature review
- Outline the literature as part of the research process
- Critically describe various approaches to research methods
- Justify methodological choices
- Design sampling approach
- Formulate relevant research instruments
- Plan data analysis
- Apply the essential rules of research ethics
- Prepare a proposal for a business research dissertation
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Written business dissertation proposal||Continuous Assessment||Written Report||80 %||End of Semester||1,2,3,4,5|
|2||Oral presentation||Continuous Assessment||Oral Exam||20 %||End of Semester||1,2,3,4,5|
Full Time Mode Workload
Required & Recommended Book List
2012-03-14 Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Approaches SAGE Publications, Inc
ISBN 1412995302 ISBN-13 9781412995306
In this Third Edition of his bestselling text John W. Creswell explores the philosophical underpinnings, history, and key elements of each of five qualitative inquiry traditions: narrative research, phenomenology, grounded theory, ethnography, and case study. In his signature accessible writing style, the author relates research designs to each of the traditions of inquiry. He compares theoretical frameworks, ways to employ standards of quality, and strategies for writing introductions to studies, collecting data, analyzing data, writing a narrative, and verifying results.
2012 Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Approaches SAGE Publications
2012-06-08 Qualitative Research Design: An Interactive Approach (Applied Social Research Methods) SAGE Publications, Inc
ISBN 1412981190 ISBN-13 9781412981194
Qualitative Research Design: An Interactive Approach, Third Edition provides researchers and students with a user-friendly, step-by-step guide to planning qualitative research. Joseph A. Maxwell shows how the components of design interact with each other, and provides a strategy for creating coherent and workable relationships among these design components, highlighting key design issues. Written in an informal, jargon-free style, the book incorporates examples and hands-on exercises.
"This book uses everyday language that will captivate students' attention and embed practical knowledge to supplement the technical."
Gaetane Jean-Marie, University of Oklahoma
"The key strengths of the text are the passion and the enthusiasm that Dr. Maxwell has for qualitative research after all these years. I feel I can also utilize these concepts on my own research team and take them out of the classroom and into research team meetings with colleagues."
Deborah Gioia, University of Maryland, Baltimore
"I really liked this book. I found myself taking notes and saying "yes" so many times because Maxwell captures the research process so well and provides many points worth quoting. As a faculty mentor, I particularly see the value of this book for my students who are conducting qualitative dissertations."
Mary S. Enright, Capella University
- David Carlone, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
"I particularly like the interactive focus and believe that helps students to more realistically engage qualitative research design. It certainly lives up to its billing as a good guidebook, and I appreciate the fact that the author really concentrates on useful content, exercises, insights, and examples, and leaves extensive theory discussions to others."
- Sharon L. Caudle, Texas A & M University
2012-03-21 Social Research Methods, 4th Edition Oxford University Press
ISBN 0199588058 ISBN-13 9780199588053
In the fourth edition of this lively and engaging textbook, Alan Bryman presents students with an updated and all-encompassing guide to the principle techniques and methodology in the field of social research.
Adopting a coherent and student-friendly format, the book offers an encyclopaedic introduction to social research methodology, and considers a broad range of qualitative and quantitative methods to help students identify and evaluate the best approach for their research needs. Building on the success of the previous editions, this book is concerned with the ways that social researchers approach their craft. Bryman guides the reader through all aspects of the research process including formulating objectives, choosing research methods, securing research participants, as well as advice on how to effectively collect, analyse and interpret data and disseminate those findings to others. This fourth edition features a new "supervisor experience" feature, which offers helpful tips from the supervisor's perspective on successful research, as well as a new chapter which tackles the sampling issues faced by qualitative researchers in a more consolidated fashion than in previous editions. Substantial updates have also been made to the existing material, particularly the internet research section, which has been fully revised to accommodate the extensive developments in this area.
* A student researcher's toolkit, providing guidance and advice on every aspect of social research
* Student experience podcasts
* Self-marking multiple choice questions for revision
* Annotated web links to useful articles, reviews, models and research guides
* A guide to using Excel in data analysis
* A lecturer's guide including lecture outlines, reading lists and teaching activities
* A suite of customisable PowerPoint slides
* Figures and tables from the text
* Case studies
2010-12-20 Research Methods: The Basics Routledge
ISBN 0415489946 ISBN-13 9780415489942
Research Methods: The Basics is an accessible, user-friendly introduction to the different aspects of research theory, methods and practice. Structured in two parts, the first covering the nature of knowledge and the reasons for research, and the second the specific methods used to carry out effective research, this book covers:
- Structuring and planning a research project
- The ethical issues involved in research
- Different types of data and data quality
- Analysing and organising data to draw sound conclusions
- Writing up and displaying data in effective ways
@text:Complete with a glossary of key terms and guides to further reading, this book is an essential text for anyone coming to research for the first time, and is widely relevant across the social sciences and humanities.