MKTG09007 2016 Brand Management
Brand Management provides strategic insights into the role and relevance of branding. A holistic and integrative approach covers the fundamentals of successful brand management. There is a focus on analysis, debate and seminal contributions.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Appraise the foundations and fundamentals of brand management.
Interpret the appropriateness and usefulness of brand models.
Show insight and critical knowledge into process aspects of branding.
Synthesise the transferability of brand theory into various contexts.
Conduct analysis to formulate and implement a strategic approach to branding.
Articulate the methods to assess, measure and review brand effectiveness.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
The teaching and learning for theis module comprises of lectureres and tutorials. Workshops, readings, case studies and guest lecturers will also facilate the teaching and learning of the module.
Module Assessment Strategies
Learning Outcome Teaching Methodology Assessment Methods
1. Appraise the foundations and fundamentals of brand management. Teaching Methodology Lecture, reading, class discussion. Assessment Methods - Written exam, literature review, project work/assignments.
2. Interpret the appropriateness and usefulness of brand models. Teaching Methodology- Lecture, reading, class discussion, case studies, guest lectures. Assessment Methods - Written exam.
3. Show insight and critical knowledge into process aspects of branding. Teaching Methodology- Lecture, reading, case studies. Assessment Methods- written exam, project/assignment work.
4. Synthesise the transferability of brand theory into various contexts. Teaching Methodology Lecture, reading, class discussion, journal review. Assessment methods - Written exam, practical assignment-presentation and report.
5. Conduct analysis to formulate and implement a strategic approach to branding. Teaching Methodology - Lecture, reading, class discussion, case studies. Assessment Methods- Written exam, practical assignment-presentation and report.
6. Articulate the methods to assess, measure and review brand effectiveness. . Teaching Methodology - Lecture, reading, class discussion. Assessment Methods- Written exam, presentation and report.
The repeat assessments are the same as outlined above.
1. Theoretical foundations of branding 30%
- Appraise the history and development of branding (1)
- Demonstrate critical thinking in relation to brand definition (1 & 2)
- Critically evaluate the effectiveness of brand modelling (2)
- Differentiate between brand corporate brand identity and perception (4)
2. The Process of branding 30%
- Formulate the branding process from conception to reality (4 & 6)
- Debate the role of brand planning (1 & 6)
- Justify the need to balance brand portfolio and brand extensions decisions (1 & 5)
- Interpret the brand evaluation in various sectors (2 & 4)
3. Strategic Issues of Brand Management 40%
- Synthesise the impact of organisational wide brand insight (1 & 5)
- Justify the need to manage and evolve brand equity (1, 2 & 3)
- Formulate the brand value from a financial perspective (5 & 6)
- Reflect on the role of innovation in branding (5 & 6)
- Appraise brand management as a means to achieve sustainable competitive advantage (4, 5 & 6)
- Explore the global challenges that effect branding (4, 5 & 6)
- Articulate the current trajectory of branding (1,2 & 5)
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Project||Continuous Assessment||Project||40 %||Week 14||1,3,5,6|
|2||Performance Evaluation Presentation||Continuous Assessment||Oral Exam||10 %||Week 15||1,2,3,4,5|
End of Semester / Year Assessment
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Final Exam Fianl exam 2 hours||Final Exam||Closed Book Exam||50 %||End of Term||1,2,3,4,5,6|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Independent Learning||UNKNOWN||Independent Learning||6||Weekly||6.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
1994 Aston University 'Branding' Bundle: Creating Powerful Brands 4th (fourth) Edition by de Chernatony, Leslie, McDonald, Malcolm, Wallace, Elaine  taylor & francis
2010-04-24 Aston University 'Branding' Bundle: From Brand Vision to Brand Evaluation taylor & francis
ISBN 1856177734 ISBN-13 9781856177733
Seeing the world's biggest brands gain ground over the world's markets, you can't deny that the 25,000 students in the UK studying marketing will never understand their subject without knowing how branding works.
This is THE key scholarly text in this crucial topic, an already hugely respected title and big seller in the field. It follows on from the introductory textbook Creating Powerful Brands, and comes highly illustrated with real examples of influential marketing campaigns. This is the book that will take students to the next level with the skills to develop and implement their own branding strategy.
2012-08-20 Strategic Brand Management: Building, Measuring, and Managing Brand Equity, 4th Edition Prentice Hall
ISBN 0132664259 ISBN-13 9780132664257
Incorporating the latest industry thinking and developments, this exploration of brands, brand equity, and strategic brand management combines a comprehensive theoretical foundation with numerous techniques and practical insights for making better day-to-day and long-term brand decisionsand thus improving the long-term profitability of specific brand strategies.
2012-10-15 The Luxury Strategy: Break the Rules of Marketing to Build Luxury Brands Kogan Page
ISBN 0749464917 ISBN-13 9780749464912
Luxury is in fashion and is now to be found in almost every retail, manufacturing and service sector. New terms like "mass-luxury," "new luxury" and "hyper luxury" attempt to qualify luxury, causing confusion today about what really makes a luxury product, a luxury brand or a luxury company.
Luxury experts Jean-Noel Kapferer and Vincent Bastien provide the first rigorous blueprint for effectively managing luxury brands and companies at the highest level. The new edition of The Luxury Strategy includes more information about digital strategy, globalization, sustainable development and why luxury brands are resilient to recessions. It analyzes in depth the essence of luxury, highlights its managerial implications and rationalizes the highly original methods often very far from the usual marketing strategies used to transform small family businesses such as Ferrari, BMW, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, Chanel, Armani or Ralph Lauren into worldwide successes.
The Luxury Strategy rationalizes those business models which have achieved profitability, while sustaining the luxury status of their brands, and sets out the counter-intuitive rules for successfully marketing luxury goods and services.
2005-09-29 Kellogg on Branding: The Marketing Faculty of The Kellogg School of Management Wiley
ISBN 0471690163 ISBN-13 9780471690160
The Foreword by renowned marketing guru Philip Kotler sets the stage for a comprehensive review of the latest strategies for building, leveraging, and rejuvenating brands. Destined to become a marketing classic, Kellogg on Branding includes chapters written by respected Kellogg marketing professors and managers of successful companies. It includes:
- The latest thinking on key branding concepts, including brand positioning and design
- Strategies for launching new brands, leveraging existing brands, and managing a brand portfolio
- Techniques for building a brand-centered organization
- Insights from senior managers who have fought branding battles and won
This is the first book on branding from the faculty of the Kellogg School, the respected resource for dynamic marketing information for today's ever-changing and challenging environment. Kellogg is the brand that executives and marketing managers trust for definitive information on proven approaches for solving marketing dilemmas and seizing marketing opportunities.
2004-11-01 How Brands Become Icons: The Principles of Cultural Branding Harvard Business Review Press
ISBN 1578517745 ISBN-13 9781578517749
1600 What Makes Winning Brands Different: The Hidden Method Behind the World's Most Successful Brands by Buchholz, Andreas, Wrdemann, Wolfram (January 15, 2000) Hardcover
2010-02-15 Competitive Success: How Branding Adds Value Wiley
ISBN 0470998229 ISBN-13 9780470998229
Competitive Success: How Branding Adds Value explains how companies can realize substantial competitive advantages and gains in financial and perceptive value if they develop a brand-centric philosophy. It describes the latest brand frameworks, emphasizing their practical applications.
The book presents a comprehensive review of the entire brand spectrum, including:
- Brand strategy
- Customer/brand insight
- Resource allocation
- Performance measurement
2012-11-06 The Philosophy of Branding Kogan Page
ISBN 0749443235 ISBN-13 9780749443238
In this original and imaginative slant on contemporary brand management, Thom Braun takes us into the minds of the world s greatest Western thinkers. Filled with contemporary examples, pragmatic insights and summaries of each philosopher s "top tips", this elegant and witty book will resonate with all marketing and branding professionals who want their intellectual and professional faculties stimulated by some new thinking.
Recommended Journal Reading
European Journal of Marketing
International Journal of Market Research
Journal of Academy of Marketing Science
Journal of Marketing
Journal of Marketing Research
Journal of Brand Management
Journal of Product and Brand Management
Harvard Business Review
Irish Marketing Review