MKTG07039 2016 Selling and Sales Management for Financial Products
This subject aims to develop an appreciation for the practice, principles and management techniques of financial selling and financial sales management.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Distinguish between the theoretical concepts and themes of financial personnel selling and sales management.
Evaluate the stages in the financial selling process and the role of the financial sales person.
Utilise the professional selling terminology and vocabulary.
Prepare and present a formal fiinancial sales presentation.
Identify the day-to-day activities of a financial salesperson.
Investigate the role of management as it appears to the financial selling function.
Investigate the issues involved in the development of the financial sales team.
Examine the different selling tools that are available to a financial salesperson.
Explore the different aspects of the environment of selling and sales management.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
The teaching and learning for this module comprises of lectures and tutorials. Workshops, readings, case studies, readings and guest lecturers will also facilitate the teaching and learning in this module.
Module Assessment Strategies
1. Distinguish between the theoretical concepts and themes of financial personnel selling and sales management. Teaching methods-lectures, readings, case studies, class discussion. Assessment methods- final examination question.
2. Examine the stages in the financial selling process and the role of the financial sales person. Teaching methods-lectures, readings, videos, simulation exercise, role play. Assessment methods- Individual project Interviews Final examination question.
3. Utilise the professional selling terminology and vocabulary. Teaching methods- Lectures, case studies, readings. Assessment methods- Final examination question.
4. Prepare and present a formal financial sales presentation. Teaching methods-Lectures and guest lecturers, class discussion, simulation exercise, role play. Assessment methods - Individual presentation.
5. Identify the day-to-day activities of a financial salesperson. Teaching methods- lectures, workshops and guest lecturers Assessment methods- Final exam question.
6. Investigate the role of financial management as it appears to the selling function. Teaching methods-l ectures, case studies, readings. Assessment methods-final exam question
7. Investigate the issues involved in the development of the financial sales team. Teaching methods- lectures, readings, case studies, class discussion. Assessment methods-final exam question
8. Examine the different selling tools that are available to a financial salesperson. Teaching methods- lectures, readings, case studies, class discussion. Assessment methods-Individual / group project and final exam question
9. Explore the different aspects of the environment of selling and sales management. Teaching methods-lectures, readings, class discussions. Assessment methods-individual / group project and final examination question
The repeat assessment are the same as outlined above.
1. Development and role of selling in marketing (1,2) 5%
- Understand the development & role of selling within the marketing concept.
- Explain the role of personnel selling within the marketing communication mix.
- Identify the characteristics of sales managers and sales people.
- Describe the different categories of salespeople and their functions.
- Explore why salespeople may not regard themselves as being communicators.
2. Buyer behaviour (1, 2) 5%
- Identify the main influences on consumer behaviour.
- Examine the consumer decision-making process in selling situations.
- Identify the main influences on organisational buyer behaviour.
- Describe the difference selling approaches to consumers and to organisational buyers.
3. Sales preparation (1, 2, 3) 10%
- Explore the area of sales preparation.
- Identify sales responsibilities of a salesperson.
- Understand the importance of the use of emotional intelligence and selling.
- Appreciate the art of personal communication in selling.
- Comprehend the psychology of selling.
- Explain the role of telesales in various sales scenarios.
- Identify the differences in selling services and products.
4. The sales presentation (1, 3, 4) 15%
- Distinguish the various phases of the selling cycle.
- Understand the planning and execution of an effective sales presentation.
- Understand the importance and art of negotiation.
- Prepare and present a sales presentation.
5. The management techniques of a sales person (1,5,6) 10%
- Develop management of client /customer portfolios.
- Explore the use of providing optimum customer value.
- Appreciate the role of time management.
- Appreciate the role of relationship selling.
- Explore the importance of customer care.
- Understand the nature and role of public relations as a selling tool.
6. Sales management (1, 6) 10%
- Explain the role of forecasting and budgeting in the planning process.
- Understand the importance and the various methods for controlling sales performance.
- Describe the forecasting methods used by sales managers.
- Appreciate the purpose of a sales budget and how it is derived.
- Understand the issues surrounding territory management.
- Describe ways in tailoring motivation to the salesperson.
- Explain the different methods of remuneration for salespeople.
- Develop a sales plan.
7. Recruitment and training of salespeople (1,6,7 10%
- Identify the recruitment and selection techniques for a sales team.
- Understand the different training and learning theories.
- Identify the different methods of training and development of salespeople.
- Discuss the use of performance measurement.
8. Key account management (1, 8) 10%
- Describe the differences between major account and small account selling.
- Identify whether key account management is appropriate in certain situations.
- Explain the processes of managing key accounts.
- Appreciate the tasks and skills of key account management.
- Identify the ways in which relationship with key accounts can be built.
- Explain the role and competencies of global account management.
- Understand the differing role of the sales manager in a key account environment.
9. Direct marketing (1,8) 5%
- Understand the importance of direct marketing in sales.
- Develop a direct marketing campaign.
- Understand the nature of database marketing.
- Identify the different media used in direct marketing.
10. International selling (1, 8) 5%
- Explain the cultural difficulties of dealing in international markets.
- Identify the various ways of entering international markets.
- Understand the theories of internationalisation.
- Describe the main methods of selling organisation used in international markets.
11. Trade fairs and exhibitions (1,8) 5%
- Explain the role of exhibitions and trade fairs in the sales cycle.
- Describe the benefits and drawbacks of using exhibitions.
- Identify the main issues in planning an exhibition.
- Explore the various methods of making exhibitions more effective.
- Explain how exhibitions can be used in key account management.
12. The environment of selling and sales management (9) 10%
- Establish a code of ethics for sales and sales management.
- Debate the social responsibility issues associated with selling and sales management
- Explore the use of customer relationship management in sales.
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Performance Evaluation Sales Presentation||Continuous Assessment||Practical Evaluation||20 %||Week 8||2,3,4|
|2||Individual Project Sales Letter||Continuous Assessment||Assignment||10 %||Week 9||3,4|
|3||Written Report Interview a sales manager or sales rep||Continuous Assessment||Written Report||20 %||Week 12||5,6,7,8,9|
End of Semester / Year Assessment
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Final Exam Supervised exam held over a period of 2 hours||Final Exam||Closed Book Exam||50 %||End of Term||1,5,6,7,8,9|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Independent Learning||UNKNOWN||Independent learning||4||Weekly||4.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
2013-11-25 Selling Professional and Financial Services Handbook + Website Wiley
ISBN 1118728149 ISBN-13 9781118728147
An effective strategic framework for successful face-to-face selling for financial services industry professionals
Times are very tough for people who sell professional services and Selling Professional and Financial Services Handbook offers a new solution proven in practice. The book describes methods the authors have used and taught since the 1990s, most recently at a major consulting firm, where they led a Global Business Development team to revenue gains of 500% over six years in a period that included the recession of 2008-10.
The solution is not any new twist on face-to-face selling techniques or the art of persuasion. Its a strategic approach built around a simple fact: the markets are tight but far from static. Even with lean budgets, client companies must respond to urgent changes and emerging threats in their industries. Thus they will buy services from the sellers who can help them detect, understand, and cope with whats coming their way.
This handbook outlines a systematic way of becoming such a valued resource. Readers learn to scan the horizon for early signs of rock-ripple events. Major changes in the business world often spring from new developments that are little noted or heeded, at first, by the client companies soon to be affected by them. But like a rock dropped in a pond, these events set off ripples that sweep through entire industry sectors, creating must-have service needs.
The book is written for everyone who sells, or is responsible for selling, professional services. This includes but is not limited to: law firms, consulting firms, finance industry, public relations, engineering, and architectural services.
Readers who can benefit from the dynamic approach hold a variety of positions. They include:
- Attorneys, consultants and other practitioners who must sell their services as well as execute.
- CEOs, equity partners, practice-area leaders, functional and divisional leaders
- Private Equity or Venture Capital executives
- Sales or business-development professionals, from entry level to senior level
- Sales and marketing managers
But the book is for sellers in every category who need a new and better approach to selling. Many, even the most skilled, simply have not adjusted to the new normal of todays economy. They persist with old strategies that cannot be as productive as they once were, such as pursuing one-off opportunities (which are too few and too hard to win in lean times) or old-style relationship selling (which gains little if any traction). Selling Professional and Financial Services Handbook gives all such readers a new strategic framework within which to apply their face-to-face selling skills. It is an approach that puts them in position to win so they can sell from ahead of the game, instead of struggling to keep up with it.
2011-10-23 Selling and Sales Management (8th Edition) Prentice Hall
ISBN 0273720651 ISBN-13 9780273720652
Selling and Sales Management 8/e is essential reading for all marketing and management students and practitioners, in particular those with specific interests in the world of sales. The text is split into five logical parts: Sales Perspective, Sales Technique, Sales Environment, Sales Management and Sales Control.
This edition places emphasis on international aspects of selling and sales management whilst also covering all of the important elements of the marketing mix. Topics covered include Sales Strategies, Key Account Management, Sales Forecasting and Budgeting, and the Role of Selling in Marketing.
2012-07-09 Winning More Business in Financial Services McGraw-Hill Education
ISBN 0071791841 ISBN-13 9780071791847
A step-by-step guide to thriving in an increasingly competitive business climate by optimising existing relationships to meet people you can't reach on their own and staging, framing, and following through on these referrals.
2016-02-01 How to Master the Art of Selling Financial Services Made For Success Publishing
ISBN 1613398034 ISBN-13 9781613398036
Whether youre a financial services expert or novice, you understand the business. Youve worked hard to gain your product knowledge. You watch industry trends. But, do you know how to talk to clients so theyll listen?
The Art of Selling Financial Services depends upon the collaboration of listing and understandably communicating to clients. Learning how to quickly gain the trust of others, get them to like you, take your advice, and become long-term clients is the foundation for every successful business.
Tom Hopkins has been training in the financial services industry since 1990 and he has developed methods to help you communicate to your clients and you understand what your clients want from you. Once you know what clients want, you can learn how to provide it! Financial services representatives have turned to Tom Hopkins for years for his proven-effective, professional selling strategies which have helped them learn how to help more of their clients make financial planning decisions. How to Master the Art of Selling Financial Services, will help you:
- Learn effective ways to talk with clients and calm their fears
- Ask the right questions to get clients talking about their needs
- Implement client feedback so that you can provide your best service
- Increase your sales ratios with closing strategies that make sense to your clients
- Grow your business with powerful, yet simple referral strategies
Tom Hopkins methods will teach you how to master the art of selling financial services more effectively and efficiently than ever before!
2013-01-24 The Ten Principles Behind Great Customer Experiences (Financial Times Series) FT Press
ISBN 0273775081 ISBN-13 9780273775089
Overall WINNER - CMI Management Book of the Year 2014
WINNER - Innovation & Entrpreneurship Category at the CMI Awards 2014
Create a great customer experience whoever you are.
Customers are powerful. They have a loud voice, a wealth of choice and their expectations are higher than ever.
This book covers ten principles you can use to make real world improvements to your customers experiences, whatever your business does and whoever you are.
For managers, leaders and those starting a new business, the book shows that making improvements customers will appreciate doesnt need to be complicated or cost a fortune.
2012-10-02 Stop Asking for Referrals: A Revolutionary New Strategy for Building a Financial Service Business that Sells Itself McGraw-Hill Education
ISBN 0071808191 ISBN-13 9780071808194
The #1 way to start getting referrals? STOP ASKING
In all his years of helping financial professionals build and grow their businesses, Stephen Wershing has learned that the number one way to make sure you don't get a referral is by asking for it. Why? Because studies prove that clients refer you not to benefit you but to benefit themselves. So you have to approach the challenge from a completely new angle.
Stop Asking for Referrals helps you do exactly that.
Inside, Wershing provides the tools you need to get more referrals than ever by designing your practice in a way that gets clients to mention you to friends when the opportunity arises. He calls it "the new referral conversation," and it works.
- Define your target market with accuracy and precision
- Communicate your value clearly and effectively
- Create your company's unique "brand"
- Harness the natural, normal social interactions of your clients to serve your marketing efforts
You'll also learn how to use client feedback to benefit your business, create your service package, and bring in new business.
"The way you have been told to attract referrals is based on an assumption that's wrong," Wershing writes. "And it is undermining your business and your relationships."
You will come away with a deep understanding of why and where referrals actually come from, how to tailor your own practice to get people talking about you, and ways to develop a communication plan to project your reputation.
So stop asking for referrals--and start attracting more new clients than you ever thought possible.
Praise for Stop Asking for Referrals
"Steve Wershing helps you unlock the untapped referral potential you have in your business today with an approach that is as comfortable as it is effective." -- JULIE LITTLECHILD, founder and president of Advisor Impact
"The most comprehensive, practical, and engaging guide I know of for strengthening existing client connections and cultivating new ones in a way that is experience-based, respectful, and long-lasting." -- OLIVIA MELLAN, psychotherapist, money coach, author of The Client Connection, and columnist for Investment Advisor
"Reading this book will revolutionize how you think about growing your business." -- MICHAEL E. KITCES, MSFS, MTAX, CFP, partner, Pinnacle Advisory Group, and blogger, Nerd's Eye View
"This book will help you overcome . . . discomfort and show you how to engage your clients so that they will proudly help you build your business. Kudos for this powerful, one-stop marketing resource!" -- SHERYL GARRETT, CFP, AIF, award-winning author, advisor, and founder of the Garrett Planning Network
"Stop Asking for Referrals is on my Top Ten list of books that I believe offer the most meaningful strategies for advisors. . . . Steve's ideas for referral marketing are brilliant and just plain common sense. Advisors will embrace his book as the new referral bible. -- SYDNEY LEBLANC, founding editor of Registered Rep magazine; partner of LeBlanc and Company
"Embrace Steve's advice if you'd like to see your practice growth become effortless, boundless, and fun!" -- MARIE SWIFT, CEO, Impact Communications, columnist for Financial Planning magazine, and author of Become a Media Magnet
2000-01-12 Storyselling for Financial Advisors : How Top Producers Sell Kaplan Publishing
ISBN 0793136644 ISBN-13 9780793136643
Learn what makes a client trust you to be their financial advisor.
Put the power of story telling into selling financial products. The authors explain the process of making these intuitive connections, then translate their findings into understandable and practical strategies that any financial professional can use. They present actual stories, including many by Warren Buffet, one of the greatest "storysellers" of all time. These actual stories can help financial pros tap into the "gut reaction" of different types of clients. the book also includes special topics on communicating to women, the 50+ market, and the affluent.
2004-04-28 22 Keys to Sales Success: How to Make It Big in Financial Services Bloomberg Press
ISBN 1576601498 ISBN-13 9781576601495
In the past few years, the financial industry has undergone dynamic structural changes that have deeply affected the sales process. Bruised by market volatility, today's consumer is skeptical and demands more for less. A business needs fresh approaches to sell in today's tough marketplace.
Here are the 22 Keys that can help any financial professional make more money, work less, and maximize his potential. Industry leaders James Benson and Paul Karasik combine their personal experience with the shared wisdom of the masters. Each key contains proven, actionable sales guidelines, including:
- The four primary fears that could destroy a sale--and how to help prospects overcome them
- The nine most effective strategic approaches to "target marketing" success
- Five guidelines for qualifying prospects more effectively
- Sixty-five ways to snap a sales slump
- Ten ways to get clients to say yes
- Four simple steps to generate new business with current clients
- Five guidelines for overcoming objections
- Six sample scripts to make closing ratios soar
Whether a company has been in business for years or is just beginning, each key will unlock a new door on the path to sales success.
2014-12-28 The Indispensable LinkedIn Sales Guide for Financial Advisors: Mastering the Online to Offline Conversion Wealth Management Press
Would you like to acquire more affluent clients with the help of LinkedIn? If so, this book is for you. When used properly, LinkedIn is a tool that has enabled a small cadre of financial advisors, referred to throughout the book as Influencers, to make social selling a core part of your business development efforts.
The Indispensable LinkedIn Sales Guide for Financial Advisors is a step-by-step guide that can transform a LinkedIn novice into a LinkedIn master, while at the same time help a LinkedIn master take their social selling skills to the next level.
By combining research from three separate studies on affluent investors, elite financial advisors, and social media in the financial services industry (labeled as the Trifecta of Research), the authors create a financial advisor roadmap on how to use LinkedIn to help acquire more affluent clients.
For instance, you will learn that the personal introduction is the #1 marketing tactic to which today s affluent respond and learn how to orchestrate these types of introductions using LinkedIn. The authors refer to this as the Online to Offline Conversion or the O-2-O ConversionTM. They will teach you financial advisor tested techniques on how to engage in advanced searches, join and form groups, properly engage with your connections, and brand yourself as a first class professional.
Each chapter focuses on an area that is important to mastering LinkedIn social selling, and goes into granular how-to detail. For instance, the chapter on Advanced Searches covers everything from Finding Business Owners to understanding how to use Boolean Logic, to how to find Money in Motion, and much more.
Social media has become an indispensable research tool for Influencers and the technology is only getting better. Welcome aboard our social media journey. The fun has just begun.
2012-04-03 The Financial Services Marketing Handbook: Tactics and Techniques That Produce Results Bloomberg Press
ISBN 1118065719 ISBN-13 9781118065716
The roadmap to success for financial professionals using real-world examples, practical how-to's, and a structured approach to marketing strategy and tactics that covers the basics for beginners and inspires new ideas for marketing pros
The Financial Marketing Services Handbook, Second Edition gives sales and marketing practitioners the practical tools and best practices they need both to improve their job performance and their retail and institutional marketing strategies. The FSM Handbook guides marketing and sales professionals working in an industry characterized by cut-throat competition, client mistrust, transformative technologies, and ever-changing regulation, to understand the practical steps they must take to turn these threats into opportunities.
Providing invaluable information on how to target, win, and retain profitable customers, the book presents an overview of the basic marketing functionssegmentation, positioning, brand building, situational analyses, and tactical planningas they relate specifically to the financial services industry. With up-to-date case studies, showing what has worked and, more tellingly, what hasn't, the book demonstrates how to effectively utilize the marketer's toolboxfrom advertising and public relations to social media and mobile marketing.
- Discusses how social media (Twitter, Facebook, blogs, review sites) impact branding and sales
- Packed with new information on landing pages, email success factors, and smartphone apps
- Demonstrates how behavioral economics affect marketing strategy
- Case studies and charts are fully revised and updated
The financial industry is under intense pressure to improve profits, retain high-value clients, and maintain brand equity without straining budgets. The first edition has become an industry-standard reference book and The Financial Services Marketing Handbook, Second Edition gives sales and marketing professionals even more of the information they need to stretch value from each marketing dollar.
2008-06-30 Perfect Selling: Open the Door. Close the Deal. [PERFECT SELLING] McGraw-Hill
2008-11-27 Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story, Updated and Expanded Edition (paperback) Pearson FT Press
ISBN 0134093283 ISBN-13 9780134093284
Thirty million presentations will be given today. Millions will fail. Millions more will be received with yawns. A rare few will establish the most profound connection, in which presenter and audience understand each other perfectlydiscover common ground and, together, decide to act.
In this fully updated edition, Jerry Weissman, the worlds #1 presentation consultant, shows how to connect with even the toughest, most high-level audiences...and move them to action! He teaches presenters of all kinds how to dump those PowerPoint templates once and for all and tell compelling stories that focus on whats in it for the audience.
Weissmans techniques have proven themselves with billions of dollars on the line. Thousands of his elite clients have already mastered them. Now its your turn!
What you must do to tell your story
Focus before Flow: identifying your real goals and message
The power of the WIIFY: Whats In It For You
Staying focused on what your audience really wants
Capture your audience in 90 seconds and never let go!
Opening Gambits and compelling linkages
Master the art of online Web conferencing
Connecting with your invisible audience
From brainstorming through delivery
Crafting the Power Presentation, one step at a time
Named by FORTUNE Magazine as a "Must-Read"
"Jerry Weissman makes the challenge of producing and delivering effective presentations delightfully simple. Read it and benefit!"
Tim Koogle,Founding CEO, Yahoo!
A great read for all of us who have ever struggled with any aspect of our public speaking skills. Presenting to Win contains the same timeless techniques that helped me  years ago.
Jeff Raikes, former President, Microsoft Business Division, Microsoft Corporation, and CEO, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Jerry is The Man when it comes to making great pitches. If your pitch doesnt get a whole lot better after reading this book, something is wrong with you.
Guy Kawasaki, Managing Director and Chairman, Garage Technology Ventures, and bestselling author of The Art of the Start
Presenting to Win is the shortest path to applause for any presenter. It will be your bible for the PowerPoint Age. Its loaded with easy actions and real examples that really work. Ive used them. I know.
Scott Cook, Founder, Intuit
2011-03-07 Key Account Management: The Definitive Guide Wiley
ISBN 047097415X ISBN-13 9780470974155
"This book is crammed with distilled, practical wisdom for key account managers and their directors. Organizations claiming to practise key account management should equip everyone involved with a copy, so they really understand what they are supposed to be doing. Anything less is just old-fashioned selling."
Developing successful business-to-business relationships with more customers in highly competitive markets requires processes and skills that go beyond traditional selling activity. The very best state-of-the-art strategies are set out clearly in this book by intentionally known authors who have worked at the highest levels with more key and strategic account managers worldwide than probably any other leading advisors. Based on the hugely influential KEY CUSTOMERS it looks at:
- Why has account management become so critical to commercial success?
- What are the key challenges and how do successful companies respond?
- What part does key account management play in strategic planning?
- How do companies build profitable relationships with their customers?
- How does key account management actually work?
- What does a successful key account manager look like and what skills does he/she need?
- How should key account managers be evaluated and rewarded?
- How do companies achieve key account management?
By addressing these key questions Woodburn and McDonald provide tools and processes for success honed by tough consultancy projects with the boards of some of the world's leading companies. The book stresses the elements that really matter - from developing a customer categorization system that really works and analyzing the needs of key accounts; to understanding the new skills required by key account managers and ensuring that key account plans are implemented. The 'real world' approach is backed by tested principles and the latest research from the renowned Cranfield School of Management.
Key Account Management comes from authors who have taught leading companies how to approach their most powerful and demanding customers and still make money. It is essential reading for all senior management with strategic responsibility, for key or strategic account directors, and for marketing and sales executives. The clear and authoritative approach also makes it an outstanding text for the serious MBA and executive student as well as business-to-business company directors and key account managers.
2004-10-01 Select Selling Oak Tree Press
ISBN 1860762972 ISBN-13 9781860762970
Growing revenue in this evolved economy is a challenge. Products are hard to describe and value is difficult to explain. Traditional sales techniques are ineffective. Buyers are more sophisticated, selling cycles are longer and customers have increasingly complex buying processes.
With CEOs, sales management and professional sales executives in mind, Donal Daly and Paul O'Dea have created the SELECT SELLING methodology to address this challenge. Between them, they have started six successful companies. In 40 years' combined experience, spanning five continents, they have sold complex products, managed and trained sales teams, and helped companies grow revenue through the definition and implementation of organizational process - from strategic market positioning to sales execution.
Using SELECT SELLING, learn how to: select the right customers to pursue; become an expert in your customer's business; guide the sale with advanced questioning techniques; increase your sales conversion rate; and know which deals you can win.
The SELECT SELLING methodology has been designed to equip anyone selling high value, complex products to large corporations with a defined and rigorous process that can be moulded to an individual salesperson's style but which also takes much of the uncertainty out of the sales process. It combines high-level, strategic marketing principles to draw the map, with focused tactics to complete each journey, addressing the practical stops along the way.
SELECT SELLING will be of particular value to those in the high technology industry. It will help them enhance their productivity, hit their targets more consistently, and increase revenue.
2013-03-05 Fundamentals of Selling: Customers for Life through Service McGraw-Hill Education
ISBN 0077861019 ISBN-13 9780077861018
Fundamentals of Selling, 13e trains readers on a detailed, yet broad, step-by-step selling process that is universal in nature. Numerous sales personnel in the industry today have commented on how this market-leading textbook reflects what they do on sales calls with prospects and customers. The goal of Fundamentals of Selling has always been to demonstrate to students the order of steps within the selling process; provide numerous examples of what should be in each step; and show how the steps within the selling process interact with one another. Combined with up-to-date content and a strong ethical focus, the 13th edition of Fundamentals of Selling teaches sales the way a mentor would: with a strong, practical focus that puts the customer first.
2004-12 Key Account Management in Financial Services Kogan Page Business Books
ISBN 0749441879 ISBN-13 9780749441876
Business and Finance
The Irish Times
The Sunday Times
The Sunday Business Post