MKTG06062 2016 Marketing Research
This subject aims to provide students with the skills required to carry out Market research, they will learn how to plan the research, prepare a research proposal, execute the desk research and primary research and present a final report. The students will then present their findings to the group.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
The student will recognise the key role market research plays in enterprise formation and development in Ireland
The student will be aware of the various sources of secondary information available to Irish business.
The student will be able to plan a market research study, carry out various methods of primary research, analyse research undertaken, write a report based on the research undertaken and make an oral presentation of their findings
Teaching and Learning Strategies
A combination of lectures, turorials
Module Assessment Strategies
Continuous Assessment 40%
Marketing Research Project and Presentation 30%
Mid term Exam 10%
Final Exam 60%
Exam and or Project
Introduction to market research
- Examine the evolution, scope and use of Market research in Ireland
- Appreciate the different types of market research studies, the characteristics of good research and potential sources of error in research
- Examine the stages involved in defining the research problem, planning a market research project and preparing a research proposal
Secondary sources of information
- Review the various sources of secondary information available to Irish business
- Appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of secondary sources of information
Primary research methods
- Examine guidelines for designing questionnaires
- Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of various methods of carrying out survey research including telephone personal and postal questionnaires and online surveys
- Consider strategies for reducing error in survey research
- Outline the process of carrying out focus group research and the use of projective techniques
- Examine the role of mystery shopping programs and omnibus surveys
- Appreciate the situations where in-depth interviews, observation techniques, panels may be appropriate research methods and the strengths and weaknesses of each
- Consider the role of both laboratory and field experiments in market research
- On-line market research
- Investigate the various scales of measurement, and the concepts of validity and reliability
- Explore the use of attitude rating scales, attitude scaling techniques and multidimensional scaling in market research
Principles of Sampling
- Outline the sampling procedure, probability and non-probability sampling techniques and how to decide on the size of your sample
Data preparation, analysis and presentation
- Examine the process of editing, coding and tabulating data
- Outline various considerations in the preparation of a written research report and the contents of a marketing research report
- Investigate the use of aids in market research presentations and the use and misuse of statistics
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Continuous Assessment Written Market Research report and Project presentation||Continuous Assessment||UNKNOWN||30 %||Week 8||3|
|2||Other Exam Mid term Exam||Continuous Assessment||UNKNOWN||10 %||Week 7||1,2,3|
End of Semester / Year Assessment
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Final Exam 2 hour Final exam||Final Exam||Open Book Exam||60 %||End of Term||1,2,3|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Tutorial||Flat Classroom||Case studies||1||Weekly||1.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
2007-05 Marketing Research in Ireland Gill & Macmillan Ltd
ISBN 0717142000 ISBN-13 9780717142002
2014-01-20 Essentials of Marketing Research: A Hands-On Orientation Prentice Hall
ISBN 0137066732 ISBN-13 9780137066735
An engaging, do-it-yourself approach to marketing research
Essentials of Marketing Research: A Hands-On Orientation presents a concise overview of marketing research via a do-it-yourself approach that engages students. Building on the foundation of his successful previous titlesBasic Marketing Research: Integration of Social Media and Marketing Research: An Applied Orientationauthor Naresh Malhotra covers concepts at an elementary level, deemphasizing statistics and formulas. Sensitive to the needs of todays undergraduates, Malhotra integrates online and social media content, and provides current, contemporary examples that ground course material in the real world.
This text provides a better teaching and learning experiencefor you and your students. It will help you to:
Give students a framework for understanding: A clear framework helps students grasp marketing research principles, as well as the relationship between marketing research and management.
Emphasize practical applications: A do-it-yourself approach and detailed real-world cases let students see how marketing research is actually conducted.
Foster interest through contemporary content: Current examples and an emphasis on online market research and social media helps students understand the relevance of course material.
Enable student success via learning aids: Various tools, throughout the text and at the end of each chapter, support students as they learn and review.
2016-03-28 Market Research in Practice: An Introduction to Gaining Greater Market Insight Kogan Page
ISBN 0749475854 ISBN-13 9780749475857
As organizations become increasingly sophisticated, the need to profile customers, deliver customer satisfaction, target certain audiences, develop brands, and optimize prices is even more important. Introducing market research tools, approaches, and issues, this book provides a clear, step-by-step guide from the beginning steps of planning and executing a project through to analyzing and presenting the results.
This fully updated third edition has been revised to reflect the most recent trends in the industry. Ten new chapters cover issues including: ethics in market research, qualitative research, quantitative research, as well as key concepts such as international research, how to design a questionnaire, how to choose a sample, and how to carry out interviews. There are also tips, advice, and new international case studies from the authors own experiences, which ground the concepts in business reality.