MKTG06055 2022 Principles of Marketing
The overall aim of this module is to provide students with a grounding in marketing concepts, theories and principles most relevant to the development and implementation of marketing practice and strategies in contemporary business. This module introduces the learner to the principles of marketing with specific emphasis on their application in business. Marketing concepts, marketing decision areas and challenges are considered emphasising key interfaces with other functional areas and an examination of emerging technologies that are shaping marketing decisions.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Explain the evolution of marketing theory and practice.
Describe the forces in the marketing environment and its impact on business.
Assess the benefits of market segmentation and understand how to position an offer for maximum competitive advantage.
Comprehend the components and processes involved in the framing of a marketing mix for products and services.
Discuss the role of corporate social responsibility and ethical marketing behaviour.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
The give a clear foundation of the principles of marketing in relation to its practical application to business today. The module will be delivered through blended learning tools including slides, videos with transcripts that students can watch, case studies and/or self-assessment quizzes.
Module Assessment Strategies
Students continuous assessment includes MCQ and group project. This may include reviewing a case study or webinars that cover key areas of Management. The student will work with a team to apply the theory to focused questions. This will assist the students in their understanding of business management theory as it applies to a business situation. They will present their findings. An MCQ will be held at week 10.
A final exam will be held at the end of the Semester to ascertain their understanding of management theory and their ability to apply it to real world management issues. This will be a formal exam that uses open-ended questions with a multiple choice section both to ascertain their ability to understand the concepts and apply them.
CA - Repeat assessment by end of Semester - working on a case study and any MCQ
Final Exam - Repeat Exam at next exam sitting.
1. The History and Evolution of the Marketing Discipline. (1, 5)
- Define marketing and explore the main principles of marketing.
- Discuss the main business orientations that have shaped and developed marketing as a discipline.
2. The Marketing Environment. (2)
- Examine the company's Micro and Macro Environment as it relates to the function of Marketing.
- Comprehend the importance of responding to the Marketing Environment.
3. Segmentation, Targeting and Positioning Strategies. (3)
- Understand the terms segmentation, targeting and positioning.
- Evaluate the different types of segmentation strategies.
4. Product and Services Marketing (4)
- Overview of what product and service marketing is.
- Examine the elements of products including classifications, levels, packaging, branding.
- Discuss the concepts of Product Lifecycle, New Product Development and Diffusion of an Innovation.
- Services marketing and the contribution of services to an economy.
- Characteristics of services and categories of services.
- Challenges posed in relation to the marketing of services.
5. Pricing Strategy (4)
- Discuss pricing strategies and the main internal and external considerations affecting pricing decisions.
6. Promotions - Marketing Communications. (4)
- Examine the marketing communication mix and understand the importance of the managing digital media.
7. Marketing Channels and Logistics Management. (4)
- Review how channel members add value.
- Comprehend the importance of careful selection and review of channel members.
- Understand the principles of supply chain management and the logistics function.
8. The New Marketing Landscape (1, 5)
- Examine the call for more ethics and social responsibility
- Introduce the growth of Not-for-profit marketing
- Examine changes to marketing and business with the Digital Age.
- Examine the main trends in consumers markets and emerging technologies in business that are driving decisions.
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||MCQ's and Assignment||Continuous Assessment||Assessment||50 %||OnGoing||1,2,3,4,5|
End of Semester / Year Assessment
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Final Exam||Final Exam||Closed Book Exam||50 %||End of Term||1,2,3,4,5|
Full Time Mode Workload
Required & Recommended Book List
2019-07-03 Kotler: Marketing Management_p4
ISBN 1292248440 ISBN-13 9781292248448
The classic Marketing Management is an undisputed global best-seller - an encyclopedia of marketing considered by many as the authoritative book on the subject. This third European edition keeps the accessibility, theoretical rigour and managerial relevance - the heart of the book - and adds: A structure designed specifically to fit the way the course is taught in Europe. Fresh European examples which make students feel at home. The inclusion of the work of prominent European academics. A focus on the digital challenges for marketers. An emphasis on the importance of creative thinking and its contribution to marketing practice. New in-depth case studies, each of which integrates one of the major parts in the book. This textbook covers admirably the wide range of concepts and issues and accurately reflects the fast-moving pace of marketing in the modern world, examining traditional aspects of marketing and blending them with modern and future concepts. A key text for both undergraduate and postgraduate marketing programmes.
2016 Marketing Management Prentice Hall
ISBN 0133856461 ISBN-13 9780133856460
NOTE: You are purchasing a standalone product; MyMarketingLab does not come packaged with this content. If you would like to purchase both the physical text and MyMarketingLab search for ISBN-10: 0134058496/ISBN-13: 9780134058498 . That package includes ISBN-10: 0133856461/ISBN-13: 9780133856460 and ISBN-10: 0133876802/ISBN-13: 9780133876802. For undergraduate and graduate courses in marketing management. The gold standard for today's marketing management student. Stay on the cutting-edge with the gold standard text that reflects the latest in marketing theory and practice. The world of marketing is changing everyday-and in order for students to have a competitive edge, they need a textbook that reflects the best of today's marketing theory and practices. Marketing Management is the gold standard marketing text because its content and organization consistently reflect the latest changes in today's marketing theory and practice. The Fifteenth edition is fully integrated with MyMarketingLab and is updated where appropriate to provide the most comprehensive, current, and engaging marketing management text as possible. Also available with MyMarketingLab (TM) MyMarketingLab is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program designed to work with this text to engage students and improve results. Within its structured environment, students practice what they learn, test their understanding, and pursue a personalized study plan that helps them better absorb course material and understand difficult concepts.
2019-03-19 Foundations of Marketing
ISBN 1526847345 ISBN-13 9781526847348
The book presents an accessible introduction to marketing. Packed with examples and end of chapter case studies highlighting the real world application of marketing concepts, the book features digital marketing integrated throughout the chapters as well as a chapter on marketing planning and strategy
2011 An Introduction for Irish Students (4th Edition) Gill and Macmillan
Journal of Marketing
Moodle Page for Module - Lecture Slides