MKTG06055 2016 Principles of Marketing
The overall aim of this module is to provide students with a grounding in marketing concepts, theories and principles most relevant to the development and implementation of marketing practice and strategies in contemporary business. This module introduces the learner to the principles of marketing with specific emphasis on their application in business. Marketing concepts, marketing decision areas and challenges are considered emphasising key interfaces with other functional areas.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Differentiate between the five main business orientations and appreciate the evolution of modern marketing practices in society.
Describe the forces in the marketing environment and how organisations can respond to these forces.
Assess the benefits of market segmentation and understand how to position an offer for maximum competitive advantage.
Comprehend the components and processes involved in the framing of a marketing mix.
Explain the general principles underlying the management of services and service quality.
Discuss the role of corporate social responsibility and ethical marketing behaviour.
Examine and comprehend the changes to existing marketing principles with the emergence of new digital media.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
The give a clear foundation of the principles of marketing in relation to its practical application to business today.
Module Assessment Strategies
Final Examination 80%
Continuous Assessment 20%
CA - Repeat assessment by end of Semester.
Final Exam - Repeat Exam.
1. The History and Evolution of the Marketing Discipline.
- Define marketing and explore the main principles of marketing.
- Discuss the main business orientations that have shaped and developed marketing as a discipline.
2. The Marketing Environment.
- Examine the company's Micro and Macro Environment as it relates to the function of Marketing.
- Comprehend the importance of responding to the Marketing Environment.
3. Segmentation, Targeting and Positioning Strategies.
- Understand the terms segmentation, targeting and positioning.
- Evaluate the different types of segementation strategies.
4. Product, Services and Branding.
- Discuss what a product and service is.
- Examine the elements of products including classifications, levels, packaging, branding.
- Discuss the concepts of Product Lifecycle, New Product Development and Diffusion of an Innovation.
5. Pricing Strategy.
- Discuss pricing strategies and the main internal and external considerations affecting pricing decisions.
6. Promotions - Marketing Communications.
- Introduce the marketing communication mix.
7. Marketing Channels and Logistics Management.
- Review how channel members add value.
- Comprehend the importance of careful selection and review of channel members.
- Understand the principels of supply chain management and the logistics function.
8. The New Marketing Landscape
- Examine the call for more ethics and social responsibility
- Introduce the growth of Not-for-profit marketing
- Examine changes to marketing and business with the New Digital Age.
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Continuous Assessment Project||Continuous Assessment||Assignment||20 %||Week 8||4|
End of Semester / Year Assessment
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Final Exam||Final Exam||Closed Book Exam||80 %||End of Term||1,2,3,4,5,6,7|
Full Time Mode Workload
Required & Recommended Book List
2011 Fundamentals of Marketing ROUTLEDGE
ISBN 0415370973 ISBN-13 9780415370974
2011-02-18 Marketing Management (14th Edition) Pearson
ISBN 0132102927 ISBN-13 9780132102926
Stay on the cutting-edge with the gold standard text that reflects the latest in marketing theory and practice.
Marketing Management is the gold standard marketing text because its content and organization consistently reflect the latest changes in todays marketing theory and practice.
Remaining true to its gold-standard status, the fourteenth edition includes an overhaul of new material and updated information, and now is available with mymarketinglabPearsons online tutorial and assessment platform.
2011 An Introduction for Irish Students (4th Edition) Gill and Macmillan
2012-01-01 Foundations of Marketing McGraw Hill Higher Education
ISBN 0077137019 ISBN-13 9780077137014
Foundations of Marketing, Fourth Edition, is a fully revised and updated edition of the highly successful text by John Fahy and David Jobber. Devised to offer comprehensive coverage for a short course in marketing, Foundations of Marketing retains its concise twelve chapter structure. The book offers a rigorous but accessible introduction, covering the core marketing curriculum in an engaging style that routinely demonstrates how marketing affects our everyday lives, considering both the decisions we make as consumers, and decisions marketing professionals would make in response to their customers. Fully revised and updated, this edition offers a closer focus on the value of marketing and its impact. The new edition also takes a more critical approach that questions and engages with current debates. Topic highlights of the fourth edition include widespread coverage of the huge impact of social media on the sphere of marketing, a fresh look at new techniques of marketing research used in real organizations, and a contemporary perspective on the growing service segment of the world economy. Bang up to date with new cases and examples, the book covers European examples from all corners of the region, including Germany, Sweden, Denmark, France, Switzerland, the UK and Ireland, without ignoring the prevalence of US and global brands in contemporary culture. The book retains the popular Marketing Spotlight and Marketing in Action features, showcasing brands as diverse as Lady Gaga, Guinness and Gap. New Social Media boxes cover LinkedIn, Facebook, Groupon and more. The fourth edition's case studies are all new, featuring brands from varying segments and countries, including H and M, Subway, Carlsberg, Rolex and Jamie Oliver. The new edition is supported by a superlative resource package to support lecturers and students, with exciting new videos linked to the case material, case and tutorial support and the integration of McGraw-Hill's Connect learning solution. Connect offers gradeable interactive activities, cases, self study quizzes, and a variety of tools to help students to master their marketing module.
2011 Marketing: An Introduction for Irish Students (4th edition) Gill and Macmillan