MATL07007 2009 Computer Aided Design and Modelling
This module provides the candidates with the skills and knowledge of current standards in Engineering Drawing and Computer Aided Design. The candidates will be capable of generating 3D solid models of plastic components and assemblies within a commercially available CAD package and will have the necessary skills to communicate effectively with society and other professional engineers.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Demonstrate the ability to sketch and illustrate engineering components.
Demonstrate the necessary knowledge and skills to interpret engineering drawing.
Produce Solid Models of plastic parts via a commercially available 3 Dimensional Solid Modelling package.
Produce Assembly and detail drawings.
Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate the design intent.
Demonstrate the ability to analyse the mouldability of a simple plastic component via a Plastic Advisor.
- Free hand sketching
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd angle and isometric projection
- Detailing and standards
3Dimensional Solid Modeling System
- Graphical User Interface, Working Directory and Saving
- Modelling Types - Drawing, Solid, Assembly, Manufacture etc...
- 3D Environment Settings
- Datum Planes (Positive and Negative Sides), Datum Axis, Lines, Points etc...
- Model Manipulation - Pan, Zoom, Rotate etc...
- Dashboard, References Dialog
- Features - Extrude, Revolve, Cut, Hole, Round, Chamfer etc...
- Sketcher - Sketch Tools
- Intent Manager, Constraints, Dimensioning etc...
- View Manager
- Information, Clearance, Model properties Tools and Material Assignments
- Model Tree and re-ordering
- Patterns - Identical, Varying, General, rotational etc...
- Groups - patterning
- Understanding the contents of a CAD dataset and how to deploy within industry
- Top Down Vs. Bottom Up Design
- Shells, Blends, Sweeps, Helical Sweeps etc...
- Advanced Rounds
- Locating Parting Plane
- Draft, Webs, Bosses, Gussets etc... (features for Plastic Part Design)
- Plastic Advisor - Component Analysis for Mouldability
- Component/Assembly Selection
- Assembly Creation and placement of components in X,Y,Z space
- Assembly orientation
- Creating/Modifying Components in Assembly mode
- Assembly Patterns, Groups and Mirroring Assemblies
- Creating a Drawing from a 3D Model (component or Assembly) and adding dimensions
- The Drawing template, Views and Projections
- Modifying Views
- Dimensions on Graveyard views, Axes and Snap Lines
- Creating Detail elements and adding Tolerances
- Sectional and Partial View
- Creating Sketching and Standard Formats
- Adding Tables, labels and importing logos to drawings
- Various component: freehand drawing
- Various component: illustration
Solid Modelling & Assembly
- Datum plane, axis, points selection and creation,
- Extrusion, revolve, hole, cuts, chamfer, rounds
- Intent Manger
- Information Gathering about 3D model
- Using the pattern and Group Features
- Communication of Concept to non-technical personal
- Modeling of Various Plastic Product design, including, draft, ribs, gussets etc...
- Extraction of Information from Models (Draft Check, Clearance, Surface etc...)
- Preparation of Assembly drawings
- Creating Engineering Drawings from 3D models of components and assemblies
- Adding Detail
- Communication of design intent to professionals
- Adding tables and Bills of Materials to Drawings
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Continuous Assessment Various work assignments||Continuous Assessment||UNKNOWN||60 %||OnGoing||1,2,3,4,5,6|
|2||Project 3D solid modeling project including component assembly and detailing.||Continuous Assessment||UNKNOWN||40 %||OnGoing||1,2,3,4,5,6|
Part Time Mode Workload
|Lecture||Distance Learning Suite||Online Lecture||1.5||Weekly||1.50|
|Independent Learning||UNKNOWN||Preparation for weekly class||1||Weekly||1.00|
|Independent Learning||UNKNOWN||Completion of weekly assignment||1.5||Weekly||1.50|
|Independent Learning||UNKNOWN||Reading Assignments||2||Weekly||2.00|
Solidworks 2009 Tutorial, Planchard & Planchard, Schroff Development Corporation, 2009
Pro/Engineer Wildfire 4.0 Toogood, Rodger, Schroff Development Corporation, 2008
Pro/Engineer Solutions and Plastic Design Ladouceur, N., et al, Onword Press, 1999
Cambridge Engineering Selector