LITT06008 2017 Digital Storytelling
Digital Storytelling is an emergent form where the written word is combined with other media; photography, audio, video and interactive presentations. In this hands-on module students will develop their own interactive multimedia stories, acquiring an understanding of the issues, creative challenges and possibilities involved.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Students will be able to outline the history and current practice of interactive multimedia.
Students will be able to identify the key technical challenges in developing a digital story.
Students will be able to explain their creative choices in the creation of their digital story.
Students will be able to structure, design and produce a completed digital story in the appropriate form.
Students will be able to evaluate their progress, identify learning points, and reflect upon their experience in the module.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
The class will be primarily practical with occassional lectures on key issues.
By and large, we will be engaged in ongoing project development and refinement through a series of training workshops and feedback sessions.
Module Assessment Strategies
Assessments will focus on the learners' practical work during the semester, the engagement across technical, creative and collaborative approaches alongside the work presented. The students will prepare presentations, reflective writing as well as their completed ebooks and webpages.
Dependent upon the individual student. Repeat projects will be considered only in certain cases, in general repeat attend will be required.
History of multimedia
- slate/quill/pen/printing press
- digital technologies - 1988 multimedia, 1992 WWW
- digital disruption in publishing, news and media
- Use of digital notebooks, the camera as a prompter
- Use of Photography/Illustration
- Writers responding to imagery
- Narratives within the frame / narrative sequencing
- use of graphic design, typography,
- physical/virtual forms of written texts, scale, tactile qualities from touch to tap.
Working with Video / Animation
- nature of storytelling in film
- technical and creative challenges in working with short form video
Creating an eBook
- defining the overall structure and design of the book
- Page layout and typography
- Media integration
- Final output
Creating a webpage
- working with Wordpress
- Blogging tools
- Interaction with Social Media
- Author websites
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Presentation||Continuous Assessment||Individual Project||10 %||End of Semester||1,2|
|2||eBook||Continuous Assessment||Individual Project||30 %||End of Semester||2,3,4|
|3||Website||Continuous Assessment||Individual Project||30 %||End of Semester||2,3,4|
|4||Reflective Essay||Continuous Assessment||Assignment||20 %||End of Semester||1,2,3,4,5|
|5||Engagement||Continuous Assessment||Performance Evaluation||10 %||OnGoing||1,2,3,4,5|
Full Time Mode Workload
Required & Recommended Book List
2014 Creativity Inc. Random House