ILFN06016 2016 Information Technology Skills 2
This module will introduce the learner to basic information technology skills required in the business environment.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Evaluate the components of an operating system to perform simple tasks
Search the web and other online resources
Identify computer types, components specifications and usage
Teaching and Learning Strategies
Direct instruction/discussion strategies and active/experiential learning are used to improve student learning
Module Assessment Strategies
100% Continuous Assessment
Repeat Exam - Theory and Practical
- Creating files/folders
- File naming conventions, types and extensions
- Windows explorer overview
- Storing files/folers locally (locally, on storage devices, network and in the cloud)
- Searching for files/folders
- Creating/renaming/deleting files/folders/nested folders
- Creating shortcuts to favourite files/folders
- Distinguish between browser, search engine, world wide web
- Hyperlinks and Internet Addresses
- Distinguish between domain name, URL and address box
- How to search web effectively
- Saving and printing pictures, text, targets, pages and PDF files
- Social Networking enviornment
- Plagiarism and Referencing
- Bibliography/ Harvard Referencing System
- Online resources - Library, databases etc
- Cloud Computing
- Create a website from a template
- Import text/images/links
- Understand the key items necessary for a website
- Content Optimisation/SEO
- Social Media
- Hardware – CPU, Primary/Secondary storage, Input/Output technologies, Communication technology.
- Software – Systems and Applications software.
- Computer Networks – LAN, WAN, Internet.
- Computer Security
- Cloud Computing
Buying a Computer device (desktop, laptop, notebook, tablet, mobile device)
- What will the computer be used for?
- Type of device/budget
- CPU/RAM/Hard Drive (SSD and HDD)
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Online/Offline Theory Assessment||Continuous Assessment||Assessment||30 %||OnGoing||1,2,3,4|
|2||File Management, Internet & Referencing||Continuous Assessment||Practical Evaluation||35 %||Week 6||1,2|
|3||Website Creation||Continuous Assessment||Assignment||35 %||Week 12||3,4|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Laboratory Practical||Computer Laboratory||Practical||2||Weekly||2.00|
|Lecture||Not Specified||Independent Learning||3||Weekly||3.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
2015-09-07 Computer Basics Absolute Beginner's Guide, Windows 10 Edition (includes Content Update Program) (8th Edition) Que Publishing
ISBN 0789754517 ISBN-13 9780789754516
Make the most of your new Windows 10 notebook or desktop computerwithout becoming a technical expert! This book is the fastest way to get comfortable, get productive, get online, get started with social networking, make more connections, and have more fun! Even if youve never used a Windows computer before, this book shows you how to do what you want, one incredibly clear and easy step at a time. Computer basics have never, ever been this simple!
Who knew how simple using computers could be?
This is todays best beginners guide to using your computer or tablet with the new Windows 10 operating systemsimple, practical instructions for doing everything you really want to do!
Heres a small sample of what youll learn:
- Set up your new computer and use the Windows 10 Start menu and desktop
- Connect to the Internet and browse the Web with Microsoft Edge
- Get started with social networking on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn
- Use Windows 10s built-in appsand find great new apps in the Windows Store
- Connect printers and external storage, and set up automatic file backup
- Create a home network in just minutes
- Go online to shop and selland smart search with Microsoft Cortana
- Get your office work done fast
- Organize, view, and share photos
- Play music using Spotify, Pandora, iTunes, and more
- Watch TV shows and movies online with Netflix and Hulu
- Protect yourself against viruses, spyware, and spam
- Keep your system running reliably at top speed
This book is part of Ques Content Update Program. As Microsoft updates features of Windows, sections of this book will be updated or new sections will be added to match the updates to the software. See inside for details
2015-09-24 Fundamentals of Office 2016 (Computer Fundamentals) Elluminet Press
ISBN 0993298133 ISBN-13 9780993298134
Learn Office 2016 the easy way. Clear concise and to the point...
Learn how to use and navigate Office 2016, the latest edition of Microsofts productivity suite. With plenty of screen prints, photographs and illustrations, this guide explores
- Upgrading to Office 2016
- New features of Office 2016
- Using Office Mobile on tablets and phones
- Constructing professional looking documents with Word 2016
- Adding and using graphics, photographs and clipart
- Changing fonts, creating tables, graphs and formatting text
- Creating presentations for your lessons, lectures, speeches or business presentations using PowerPoint 2016
- Adding animations and effects to PowerPoint slides
- Using Excel 2016 to create spreadsheets that analyse, present and manipulate data.
- Working with functions and formulas
- Creating Excel charts and graphs
- The basics of Microsoft Access databases
- Keeping in touch with friends, family and colleagues using Microsoft Outlook 2016
- Maintaining calendars and keeping appointments with Outlook.
- and more...
Techniques are illustrated step by step using photography and screen prints throughout, together with concise, easy to follow text from an established expert in the field.
Whether you are new to Microsoft Office, upgrading or an experienced user needing a refresher or update, this book will provide you with a firm grasp of the underpinning foundations and equip you with the skills needed to use Office effectively and productively.
Support material prepared by lecturers and made available to students