HLTH06025 2019 INTRODUCTION TO HEALTH and FITNESS
This module will introduce the concept of healthy active living. The module will equip the student with knowledge of the health benefits of being physically active, introduce the basic concepts of health- and skill-related components of fitness and develop skills to promote physical activity and motivate people to be more active in a variety of settings.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Demonstrate the principles and concepts relevant to an active healthy lifestyle and the benefits thereof for the maintenance of health and prevention of disease.
Explain and apply basic principles of exercise science individually or as part of a small group including; health and skill-related components of fitness, principles of training, FITT, exercise prescription for health & fitness, basic dose-response issues and conduct basic fitness tests with accurate data for identified components of fitness.
Outline psychosocial factors relevant to health and fitness, and apply basic strategies from behaviour change models to motivate clients in health behaviour change.
Establish individual motivation and ‘readiness’ for change and identify real and perceived barriers to being physically active.
Describe effective strategies to promote physical activity and identify organisations and settings with responsibility to promote activity.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
This module will be delivered fulltime. This will include lectures, laboratory practicals, and running track workshops augmented by independent learning and directed learning. This approach is expected to address student learning needs. Moodle will be used as a repository of educational resources and as a means of assessment (e.g. quizzes, uploading assignments and journals).
Module Assessment Strategies
This module is 65% Continuous Assessment and 35% Final exam'.
Self-assessment tests and other forms of formative assessment are provided to students to check their own progress towards achieving the learning outcomes of the module and to motivate learning. Module will be assessed using a combination of end of semester final exam (35%), continuous assessment and course work (65%). The assessment strategy for this module centres around assessing practical skills and application of theory using authentic, real-world scenarios and a mix of assessment methods to evaluate a variety of learning styles.
Repeat Continuous Assessment and/or Final Exam.
Active, Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
· Principles, components and benefits of an active healthy lifestyle
· Lifestyle choices affecting health
· Adopting and promoting a healthy active lifestyle, principles, role of the professional and dose response issues
Principles of Physical Activity
· Components of an activity session
· Health and skill-related components of fitness, definitions, tests for and introduction to the;
- The FITT Formula
- Principles of training and their application to the components of fitness
- Basic introduction to health and fitness testing
· The relationship between physical fitness, health-related exercise, sports-specific exercise and health
· National & International guidelines for physical activity for health & fitness
· Overview of the exercise prescription for health, well-being and physical fitness
· Introduction to the exercise continuum and dose response issues for physical activity and fitness improvement
Psychosocial Aspects of Health & Fitness
· Introduction to psychological aspects of health & fitness influential in health-behaviour change
· Identifying underlying motives for exercise goals and using these as part of client motivation strategies
· Identifying readiness to change physical activity behaviour together with related future goals and aspirations
· Identifying barriers and motivators to exercise participation
· Introduction to the Transtheoretical Model of Behaviour Change - applying basic stage-appropriate strategies to promote physical activity
· Applying basic cognitive-behavioural techniques to promote uptake and adherence to physical activity·
Promoting Physical Activity for Health & Fitness
· Effective approaches to promote increased physical activity
· Agencies and opportunities for promoting physical activity
· Using motivational strategies and effective behavioural strategies to enhance physical activity health-behaviour change
· Using extrinsic and intrinsic reinforcement and tactics for relapse prevention
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Practical skills evaluations in lab/workshop sessions||Formative||Performance Evaluation||- %||End of Term||2,3,4|
|2||Poster Presentation||Formative||Group Project||- %||Week 2||1,2|
|3||Written Report||Continuous Assessment||Assignment||25 %||Week 6||2|
|4||Theory Assessment||Continuous Assessment||Multiple Choice||15 %||Week 8||1|
|5||Presentation||Continuous Assessment||Group Project||25 %||Week 12||3,4,5|
End of Semester / Year Assessment
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Final Exam Theory Assessment||Final Exam||Closed Book Exam||35 %||End of Term||1,2,3,4,5|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Independent Learning||UNKNOWN||Self Study||3||Weekly||3.00|
|Lecture||Lecture Theatre||Directed Learning||2||Weekly||2.00|
|Practical||Science Laboratory||Physiology Lab||2||Fortnightly||1.00|
|Practical||Classroom Flexible Seating||Directed Group Learning||2||Fortnightly||1.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
LooseLeaf Concepts of Fitness And Wellness: A Comprehensive Lifestyle Approach McGraw-Hill Education
20/06/2019 Exercise Testing and Prescription - A Health-Related Approach Champaign: Illinois, Human Kinetics.
20/06/2019 Advanced Fitness Assessment and Exercise Prescription Leeds: Human Kinetics.
2009 Motivating People to be Physically Active Human Kinetics Publishers
ISBN 0736072470 ISBN-13 9780736072472
Now updated to include how technology can be used in changing physical activity behaviour, this is a comprehensive reference describing proven methods for helping people change from being inactive to active living.
2012 Physical Activity and Health Human Kinetics Publishers
ISBN 0736095411 ISBN-13 9780736095419
2006 Norms for Fitness, Performance, and Health Human Kinetics
ISBN 0736054839 ISBN-13 9780736054836
Suitable for students in sport and exercise science. This book includes normative data for various aspects of fitness, such as strength, endurance, anaerobic and aerobic capacity, body composition, flexibility, speed and agility. It also looks at health norms to measure cardiovascular values, blood lipids, bone density and energy expenditure.
20/10/2019 PROMOTING PHYSICAL ACTIVITY: A GUIDE FOR COMMUNITY ACTION Champaign: Illinois, Human Kinetics.
1. Corbin C., Welk, G., Corbin W. & Welk, K. (2013) Concepts of Fitness & Wellness: A Comprehensive Lifestyle Approach (10th ed.). London: McGraw-Hill.
2. Marcus, B. & Forsyth, L. (2009) Motivating People to Be Physically Active (2nd ed.). Champaign: Illinois, Human Kinetics.