ENG09010 2014 Transportation Planning
This module examines urban sustainable traffic management measures and policies, traffic, road safety and transport demand management systems, the design of shared and integrated streets and sustainable and integrated transport infrastructure in the urban environment, and public transport and sustainable travel provision. This module also includes transportation planning and policies for the urban and rural environment, development of mobility plans for the urban and regional development planning process, implementation of sustainable and integrated transport planning policies, road and traffic considerations for developments and traffic and transport assessment.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Interpret the significance of transportation planning in the planning process
Determine and assess the merits of methodologies for the sustainable, integrated and safe management of the urban road traffic system to incorporate shared streets and sustainable modes of travel to address the balance of place and movement.
Assess the options and guidance for the design of sustainable, efficient and integrated urban street networks.
Determine the standards and technical requirements for urban housing development roads and provision of infrastructure for sustainable travel networks.
Critically evaluate the role and implementation of urban transport policy and sustainable transport plans in the development control and planning process.
Assess the requirements and formulate the production of Traffic and Transport Assessments and Environmental Impact Assessment for development control, urban and rural road projects, and the environmental planning process.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
The teaching and learning strategy is based on the provision of on-line lectures, tutorials and group workshops that incorporate elements of enquiry and project-based learning.
Module Assessment Strategies
A blend of final written examination and continuous assessment projects, both individual and group format.
Learners must pass both final examination and continuous assessment elements.
1. Role of Transportation Planning in the Planning Process.
2. Sustainable traffic management and transport policies, provisions and measures for integrated urban streets, roads, and sustainable transport systems.
3. Design, planning and control of integrated, sustainable and shared urban roads and streets to requirements of DMURS.
4. Housing development road design and specifications.
5. Sustainable travel provision for rural and urban areas.
6. Transport policy and the mobility planning process for urban and regional development plans.
7. Design and control of sustainable transport facilities and road infrastructure for commercial and residential developments.
8. The formation and implementation of Traffic and Transport Assessments and their role in the environmental and transport planning process.
9. Environmental impact assessment procedures and documentation for the planning and approval of rural and urban road projects.
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Continuous||Continuous Assessment||Assignment||10 %||Week 6||2,3,4|
|2||Workshop||Continuous Assessment||Group Project||10 %||Week 7||2,3|
|3||Continuous||Continuous Assessment||Individual Project||20 %||Week 13||2,3,4,5,6|
End of Semester / Year Assessment
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Written examination||Final Exam||Closed Book Exam||60 %||End of Semester||1,2,3,4,5,6|
Online Learning Mode Workload
|Online Lecture||Distance Learning Suite||Lecture||1||Weekly||1.00|
|Tutorial||Distance Learning Suite||On-line tutorial||1||Weekly||1.00|
|Workshop||Offsite||Workshop/Site Visit||2.5||Twice Per Semester||0.33|
|Independent Learning||Not Specified||Self-directed learning||7||Weekly||7.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
1997-06 Transport in the Urban Environment Institution of Highways & Transportation
ISBN 0902933213 ISBN-13 9780902933217
1998 Recommendations for site development works for housing areas Stationery Office
ISBN 0707661633 ISBN-13 9780707661636
1996-11-29 Transport Planning and Traffic Engineering CRC Press
'Transport Planning and Traffic Engineering' is a comprehensive textbook on the relevant principles and practice. It includes sections on transport policy and planning, traffic surveys and accident investigation, road design for capacity and safety, and traffic management. Clearly written and illustrated, the book is ideal reading for students of transport, transport planning, traffic engineering and road design.
This new book, written by senior academics in the field of transport, is a worthy successor to the widely acclaimed first volume of O'Flaherty's Highways. The content has been expanded and thoroughly updated to reflect the many changes that have taken place in this topical area.
Prepared in collaboration with recognised field experts
For senior undergraduate and postgraduate students in transport and traffic engineering
Also of value to practising engineers and urban planners
2011-03-21 Handbook of Transportation Engineering Volume I, 2e: 1 McGraw-Hill Professional
The definitive transportation engineering resource--fully revised and updated
The two-volume Handbook of Transportation Engineering, Second Edition offers practical, comprehensive coverage of the entire transportation engineering field. Featuring 18 new chapters and contributions from nearly 70 leading experts, this authoritative work discusses all types of transportation systems--freight, passenger, air, rail, road, marine, and pipeline--and provides problem-solving engineering, planning, and design tools and techniques with examples of successful applications. Volume I focuses on transportation networks and systems, operations, and economics.
VOLUME I COVERS:
- National transportation networks and inter-modal systems
- Transportation network planning: theoretical notions
- Reliability of travel times and robustness of transport networks
- Transportation systems modeling and evaluation
- Software systems and simulation for transportation applications
- Applications of GIS in transportation
- Travel demand forecasting
- Transportation and land use
- Sustainable transportation practice
- Transportation planning and modeling
- Transportation economics
- Innovative information technology applications in public transportation
- Parking management
- Management of transportation organizations
- Trucking operations
- The economics of railroad operations: resurgence of a declining industry
- Airline management and operations
- The marine transportation system
- Global logistics
- Freight transportation planning
Anon 2013, Design Manual for Urban Roads and Streets., Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
Anon, 2012, Spatial Planning and National Roads, Guidelines for Planning Authorities. Department of Environment, Community, and Local Government
Anon, 2009, Smarter Travel, A Sustainable Transport Future, A New Transport Policy for Ireland 2009 - 2020. Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport