DSGN06073 2013 Professional Practice 2 (Core Communication Skills)
Professional Practice 2 introduces students to the theory and practice of communication, through developing confidence and skills in interpersonal, oral and written communication with particular focus on Creative Design practices. Communication of ideas, concepts and solutions, both internally and externally, will form one the key objectives of this module. Written and verbal communication skills will be encouraged through interactive workshops, presentation techniques, research strategies, and interaction with external professional bodies. The importance of visual research, visual communication, expression and presentation to different audiences through contemporary social media will be also be focused on. Core communication skills are enhanced in tandem with design projects and processes.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Demonstrate an understanding of the research, structure and organisation needed in a variety of presentation techniques and modes.
Research user groups, user needs and behaviours and present research orally, visually and in written format
Visually communicate ideas in a range of contexts, using different media
Develop verbal and inter-personal skills to enhance professionalism and identify areas to improve communication competency
Research a broad range of secondary material neccessary for contextualising the design process using a variety of research strategies.
Write a cover letter, CV and communicate effectively with professional bodies
Module Assessment Strategies
Learners are assessed through 100% continuous assessment. This includes group presentations, individual presentations, research report, design statement.
- Structure and deliver effective oral presentations, identifying objectives, organising material and demonstrating ability to link research to design concept and solution
- Practice oral techniqes based on voice work, posture awareness, body language and assertiveness
- Prepare and effectively use visual aids (design boards, multimedia, models, prototypes etc)
- Use persuasive, positive language outlining unique selling points f design in oral presentation
- Identify methods to overcome anxiety
- Design and prepare effective documents for professional practice: research reports, design reports, design submissions, concept development, design solution, design promotion
- Identify and apply the principles of pratical report writing & persuasive writing
- Research and responsibly apply research to build credible and substantiated arguments
- Illustrate process of documentation
- Demonstrate writing skills in terms of clarity, tone, voice, style, grammar and punctuation
Collaborating and Communicating in the Design Process
- Recognise the benefits of groups and self-managed teams within creative industries
- Generate ideas through brainstorming and listening skills within groups
- Organise and participate in work groups, manage research, allocate tasks and structure roles
- Identify and apply assertive techniques in communicating with others and when communicating own ideas and presenting work
- Discuss how nonverbal behaviours communicate feelings, attitudes, affiliation, status and power
- Recognise and apply the skills needed to read one's own nonverbal behaviours and the nonverbal sgnals of others
- Appraise and evaluate peer presentations, recognising importance of listening and constructive feedback
- Identify research methodologies in relation to user needs, attitudes and behaviours and for undertaking primary research
- Present user research in written reports and oral presentations
- Research and communicate with external organisations and individuals
- Collaborate with others within work teams
- Reflect on communication competency
- CV and cover letter writing
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Continuous Assessment Communication Evaluation||Continuous Assessment||UNKNOWN||40 %||OnGoing||1,2,3,4,5,6|
|2||Presentation Individual Project||Continuous Assessment||UNKNOWN||30 %||Week 6||1,3,4,5|
|3||Design Presentation Final Project Presentation||Continuous Assessment||UNKNOWN||30 %||End of Term||1,2,3,6|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Design Projectwork||Flat Classroom||Interactive practical application of communication skills in design context||3||Weekly||3.00|
Reynolds, G. (2008) Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery, New Riders.
Reynolds, G. (2010) Presentation Zen Design: Simple Design Principles and Techniques to Enhance Your Presentation, New Riders.
Duarte, N. (2008) Slide:ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations, O'Reilly Media.