DRWG06012 2012 CAD/Hand Drawing
The learner shall experience the full process of Civil Engineering and construction draughting, from the preparation of initial hand drawn sketches to the production of final drawings using computer aided design software.
On completion of this module the learner will be able to draw simple construction objects and produce detailed construction drawings using standard techniques and rules of engineering drafting.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Understand and develop clear and appropriate Civil Engineering and Construction drawings within a basic drawing management system.
Prepare competent well annotated hand drawn sketches of typical construction details.
Competently convert sketch designs and instructions into detailed working drawings.
Produce detailed working drawings using computer aided software.
Understand the difference between and importance of 2D drawings, 3D drawings and BIM modelling in computer aided design.
Module Assessment Strategies
- Continuous Assessment Drawings: The learner will be required to produce a series of drawings to reflect the topics covered in the indicative syllabus.
- Exam: A mid-term assessment will be completed by learners to highlight progress.
- Project: Learners will work on the production of drawings for a construction project(s). This project work will be linked to learning in the first year Construction Techhnology, Surveying and Structures modules.
- Exam: Final assessment will be completed by learners as part of continuous assessment of module.
Engineering Drawing Principles:
- Introduction to Drawing Management: Engineering and Construction drawing conventions and standards, lettering, line types, symbols and hatching, dimensioning conventions, engineering drawing scales.
- 2D Drawing: Orthographic, Oblique and Isometric projections.
- 3D Drawing: Isometric and oblique projections and perspectives.
- CAD Introduction: Graphical user interface, CAD organisation, drawing setup, layers, colours, linetypes, colours, dimensioning, drawing objects, modelspace, paperspace, scales, plotting and BIM.
Construction Detailing and Drawing:
- Building Structures Details: Typical details for small scale construction projects from foundation to roof, as covered in Stage 1 Construction Technology modules.
- Drainage Details: Typical details as covered in first year Construction Technology modules.
- Surveying: Develop drawing from information recorded in first year Surveying modules and import information from total station survey into CAD software to develp drawings.
The practical work and projects are designed to supplement the fundamental principles covered in lectures.
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Continuous Assessment Mid-Term||Formative||Assignment||- %||Week 7||1,2,3,4|
|2||Formative and Summative Assessment of drawings produced during semester||Continuous Assessment||Assignment||20 %||OnGoing||1,2,3,4,5|
|3||Project||Continuous Assessment||Project||60 %||OnGoing||1,2,3,4,5|
|4||Final Exam at end of Semester||Continuous Assessment||Assessment||20 %||End of Term||1,2,3,4|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Laboratory Practical||Computer Laboratory||Lectures + Lab Work||6||Weekly||6.00|
|Independent Learning||Computer Laboratory||Drawing Preparation||1||Weekly||1.00|
- Giesecke, F. et al, Technical Drawing with Engineering Graphics, p.791, Pearson, 2012.
- Madsen, D.A., Madsen, D.P. and Turpin, J., Engineering: Drawing & Design, p.1105, Delmar Thomson, 2007.
- Mott, L., Engineering drawing and Construction, P.244, Oxford University Press, 1976.
- Reddy, K. V., Textbook of Engineering Drawing, p.377, BS Publications, 2008.
- Simmons., C., Maguire, D. and Phelps, N., Manual of Engineering Drawing, p.328, Elsevier, 2004.
- Bokmiller, D., Whitbread, S. and Londeberg, J., Mastering Autodesk Revit MEP 2012, p.650, Wiley Publishing Ltd., 2011.
- Chappell, E., AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 Essentials, p.386, Wiley Publishing Ltd., 2011.
- Omura, G., Mastering AutoCAD 2012 and AutoCAD LT 2012, p.1288, Wiley Publishing Ltd., 2011.
- Onslott, S., AutoCAD 2012 and AutoCAD LT 2012 Essentials, p.402, Wiley Publishing Ltd., 2011.
- Yarwood, A., Introduction to AutoCAD 2012: 2D and 3D Design, p.440, Routledge, 2011.
- Moodle Site for module
- Stage 1 Constructuon Technology module resources.