COMP08133 2018 Augmented UX/UI Design
The Augmented UX/UI Design module challenges the learner to apply UX/UI skillsets to research and design innovative digital products by harnessing augmented reality (AR).
AR, a set of technologies that superimpose digital data on the physical world is transforming how we learn, make decisions and interact with the physical world and is the new interface between humans and machines, bridging the digital and physical worlds. The learner shall deploy an AR based product to the cloud enhanced by UX/UI design.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Describe the user centred challenges posed by augmented reality.
Create and develop augmented reality content.
Instruct and guide a user through augmented reality.
Apply UX/UI to aid user interaction with augmented reality.
Deploy an augmented reality product to the cloud.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
A practical student-centric approach to teaching and learning shall be applied to this module. Syllabus shall be taught through a variety of instructional techniques used to move students progressively toward stronger understanding and, ultimately, greater independence in the learning process.
Module Assessment Strategies
A 100% continuous assessment strategy of all module phase deliverables shall be employed, afforded to the successful completion of three sequential design phase tasks worth 30%, 30% and 40%, throughout the semester.
Repeat assessment requires the learner to fulfill a project brief, involving the successful completion of sequential design phase tasks, culminating in a final presention to staff.
1. Describe the user centred challenges posed by augmented reality.
- Intoroduction to Augmented Reality.
- What are the complexities posed by integrating UX/UI into AR?
- Augmented Reality UX/UI case studies.
- Understanding project tasks when combining UX to AR.
2. Create and develop augmented reality content.
- Conceptualising 2D data into appropriate AR content.
- Learn to create and upload simple 3D AR content.
- Critiquing design intent and functionality.
- Amending augmented reality content.
3. Instruct and guide a user through augmented reality.
- Designing an interactive print with 3D AR content.
- Developing an augmented reality prototype.
- Assessing the design for development purposes.
- Enhancing and evolving the design.
4. Apply UX/UI to aid user interaction with augmented reality.
- Researching stakeholders interaction with prototypes.
- Fine tune the user's interface.
- Cyclically prototyping and testing.
- Evolving and prepare concepts for launch.
5. Deploy an augmented reality product to the cloud.
- Launching the product to the cloud.
- Graphically collating product research and development.
- Presenting product design.
- Defending design decisions.
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Present augmented UX conceptual designs.||Continuous Assessment||Project||30 %||Week 4||1,2|
|2||Illustrate developed user-centred designs.||Continuous Assessment||Project||30 %||Week 8||3,4|
|3||Launch and defend the design.||Continuous Assessment||Project||40 %||Week 12||5|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Design Projectwork||Studio||Augmented UX/UI Design||3||Weekly||3.00|
|Independent Learning||Not Specified||Augmented UX/UI Design||4||Weekly||4.00|
Online Learning Mode Workload
|Online Lecture||Distance Learning Suite||Design Lecture||1||Weekly||1.00|
|Directed Learning||Not Specified||Directed Learning||1||Weekly||1.00|
|Independent Learning||Not Specified||Independent Learning||5||Weekly||5.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
2017-09-08 Practical Augmented Reality: A Guide to the Technologies, Applications and Human Factors for Ar and Vr (Usability) Addison-Wesley Professional
ISBN 0134094239 ISBN-13 9780134094236
2013-06-05 Understanding Augmented Reality: Concepts and Applications Morgan Kaufmann
ISBN 0240824083 ISBN-13 9780240824086
Title: Understanding Augmented Reality <>Binding: Paperback <>Author: Alan B Craig <>Publisher: Morgan Kaufmann
2015-11-30 The VR Book: Human-Centered Design for Virtual Reality (ACM Books) ACM Books
ISBN 1970001127 ISBN-13 9781970001129
Virtual reality (VR) can provide our minds with direct access to digital media in a way that seemingly has no limits. However, creating compelling VR experiences is an incredibly complex challenge. When VR is done well, the results are brilliant and pleasurable experiences that go beyond what we can do in the real world. When VR is done badly, not only is the system frustrating to use, but it can result in sickness. There are many causes of bad VR; some failures come from the limitations of technology, but many come from a lack of understanding perception, interaction, design principles, and real users. This book discusses these issues by emphasizing the human element of VR. The fact is, if we do not get the human element correct, then no amount of technology will make VR anything more than an interesting tool confined to research laboratories. Even when VR principles are fully understood, the first implementation is rarely novel and almost never ideal due to the complex nature of VR and the countless possibilities that can be created. The VR principles discussed in this book will enable readers to intelligently experiment with the rules and iteratively design towards innovative experiences.
2017-10-09 Augmented Reality for Developers: Build practical augmented reality applications with Unity, ARCore, ARKit, and Vuforia Packt Publishing
Build exciting AR applications on mobile and wearable devices with Unity 3D, Vuforia, ARToolKit, Microsoft Mixed Reality HoloLens, Apple ARKit, and Google ARCore
About This Book
- Create unique AR applications from scratch, from beginning to end, with step-by-step tutorials
- Use Unity 3D to efficiently create AR apps for Android, iOS, and Windows platforms
- Use Vuforia, ARTookKit, Windows Mixed Reality, and Apple ARKit to build AR projects for a variety of markets
- Learn best practices in AR user experience, software design patterns, and 3D graphics
Who This Book Is For
The ideal target audience for this book is developers who have some experience in mobile development, either Android or iOS. Some broad web development experience would also be beneficial.
What You Will Learn
- Build Augmented Reality applications through a step-by-step, tutorial-style project approach
- Use the Unity 3D game engine with the Vuforia AR platform, open source ARToolKit, Microsoft's Mixed Reality Toolkit, Apple ARKit, and Google ARCore, via the C# programming language
- Implement practical demo applications of AR including education, games, business marketing, and industrial training
- Employ a variety of AR recognition modes, including target images, markers, objects, and spatial mapping
- Target a variety of AR devices including phones, tablets, and wearable smartglasses, for Android, iOS, and Windows HoloLens
- Develop expertise with Unity 3D graphics, UIs, physics, and event systems
- Explore and utilize AR best practices and software design patterns
Augmented Reality brings with it a set of challenges that are unseen and unheard of for traditional web and mobile developers. This book is your gateway to Augmented Reality developmentnot a theoretical showpiece for your bookshelf, but a handbook you will keep by your desk while coding and architecting your first AR app and for years to come.
The book opens with an introduction to Augmented Reality, including markets, technologies, and development tools. You will begin by setting up your development machine for Android, iOS, and Windows development, learning the basics of using Unity and the Vuforia AR platform as well as the open source ARToolKit and Microsoft Mixed Reality Toolkit. You will also receive an introduction to Apple's ARKit and Google's ARCore! You will then focus on building AR applications, exploring a variety of recognition targeting methods. You will go through multiple complete projects illustrating key market sectors including business marketing, education, industrial training, and gaming.
By the end of the book, you will have gained the necessary knowledge to make quality content appropriate for a range of AR devices, platforms, and intended uses.
Style and approach
This book adopts a practical, step-by-step, tutorial-style approach. The design principles and methodology will be explained by creating different modules of the AR app.
2016-12-11 Augmented Reality: Innovative Perspectives across Art, Industry, and Academia Parlor Press
ISBN 1602355568 ISBN-13 9781602355569
2015-10-26 Learning Virtual Reality: Developing Immersive Experiences and Applications for Desktop, Web, and Mobile O'Reilly Media
As virtual reality approaches mainstream consumer use, a vibrant development ecosystem has emerged in the past few years. This hands-on guide takes you through VR development essentials for desktop, mobile, and browser-based applications. Youll explore the three go-to platformsOculusVR, Gear VR, and Cardboard VRas well as several VR development environments, programming tools, and techniques.
If youre an experienced programmer familiar with mobile development, this book will help you gain a working knowledge of VR development through clear and simple examples. Once you create a complete application in the final chapter, youll have a jumpstart on the next major entertainment medium.
- Learn VR basics for UI design, 3D graphics, and stereo rendering
- Explore Unity3D, the current development choice among game engines
- Create native applications for desktop computers with the Oculus Rift
- Develop mobile applications for Samsungs Gear VR with the Android and Oculus Mobile SDKs
- Create simple and affordable mobile apps for any smartphone with Googles Cardboard VR
- Bring everything together to build a 360-degree panoramic photo viewer
2017-05-08 Augmented Reality: Where We Will All Live Springer
ISBN 3319545019 ISBN-13 9783319545011
2016-06-03 Augmented Reality: Principles and Practice (Game Design/Usability) Addison Wesley
ISBN 0321883578 ISBN-13 9780321883575