COMP07165 2018 Experiential UX/UI Project (Development)
The Experiential UX/UI Project Development module provides the learner with the opportunity to develop a functioning high fidelity digital product proposed by an industry partner.
This project-based module’s focus (building on the learning outcomes of the Experiential UX/UI Project Research and Design module) is on product development, responding to industry demands, through engagement with same on campus. Students shall employ data analytics, UX/UI and demonstrate mastery in operational skills, launching and pitching a high fidelity product to an industry partner.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Autonomously deduce an agile approach for product development.
Originate and determine high fidelity UI.
Design, build and launch a minimum viable product.
Test and validate implementing data analytics and UX research.
Improve designs through post live analysis and development.
Maximise and demonstrate product features and unique selling points.
Constuct and promote a design event/showcase.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
A practical student-centric approach to teaching and learning shall be applied to this module. Syllabus shall be taught through a variety of instructional techniques used to move students progressively toward stronger understanding and, ultimately, greater independence in the learning process.
Module Assessment Strategies
A 100% continuous assessment strategy of all module phase deliverables shall be employed, afforded to the successful completion of five sequential design phase tasks, each worth 20% throughout the semester.
Repeat assessment requires the learner to fulfill a project brief, involving the successful completion of sequential design phase tasks, culminating in a final presention to staff.
1. Autonomously deduce an agile approach for product development.
- Listing product development tasks.
- Critiquing low fidelity designs for development purposes.
- Determining of software requirements to digitise the design.
- Reporting on phase milestones.
2. Originate and determine high fidelity UI.
- Digitising low-fidelity UI into high-fidelity UI.
- Using graphic vector and raster software.
- Introduction to material design.
- Assimilating phase actions.
3. Design, build and launch a minimum viable product.
- Using appropriate digital tools to create a digital interface.
- Developing appropriate tool-set skills to develop and enhance the user interface.
- Launching a minimum viable product.
- Collating phase actions.
4. Test and validate implementing data analytics and UX research.
- Developing design through user empathy.
- Using software packages to perform data analysis and interpreting the results.
- Applying simple random sampling and confidence intervals.
- Reporting on descriptive statistics e.g. mean, median, standard deviation.
5. Improve designs through post live analysis and development.
- Drawing scatter plots and understanding co-relations.
- An introduction to probability.
- How to verify/disprove assumptions about data sets using real world data.
- Documenting analysis through technical writing.
6. Maximise and demonstrate product features and unique selling points.
- Presenting and navigating an evolved high-fidelity prototype.
- Disclosing how the solution could be further developed once launched.
- Defending product development decisions.
- Collating and integrating stakeholder feedback.
7. Constuct and promote a design event/showcase.
- How to create portfolio/show-reel of project process events.
- Designing for display, printed boards/videos etc.
- Exhibiting artefacts, market and promote the event.
- Reporting and reflecting on project milestones.
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Determine project development tasks.||Continuous Assessment||Project||20 %||Week 2||1,2|
|2||Present a minimum viable product.||Continuous Assessment||Project||20 %||Week 3||3|
|3||Document data analysis.||Continuous Assessment||Project||20 %||Week 5||4|
|4||Present research-led design enhancements.||Continuous Assessment||Project||20 %||Week 7||5|
|5||Pitch and defend product development.||Continuous Assessment||Project||20 %||Week 8||6,7|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Design Projectwork||Studio||Experiential UX/UI Project (Development)||6||Weekly||6.00|
|Independent Learning||Not Specified||Experiential UX/UI Project (Development)||8||Weekly||8.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
2017-12-27 Simple and Usable Web, Mobile, and Interaction Design (Voices That Matter) New Riders
ISBN 0134777603 ISBN-13 9780134777603
2015-03-03 Improving the User Experience through Practical Data Analytics: Gain Meaningful Insight and Increase Your Bottom Line Morgan Kaufmann
ISBN 0128006358 ISBN-13 9780128006351
2017-01-27 Researching UX - Analytics: Understanding is the Heart of Great UX (Aspects of Ux) SitePoint
ISBN 0994347073 ISBN-13 9780994347077
2015-02-20 The Best Interface Is No Interface: The simple path to brilliant technology (Voices That Matter) New Riders
ISBN 0133890333 ISBN-13 9780133890334
[ The Best Interface Is No Interface: The Simple Path to Brilliant Technology By ( Author ) Feb-2015 Paperback
2013-07-01 Digital Design Essentials: 100 ways to design better desktop, web, and mobile interfaces Rockport Publishers
Digital Design Essentials takes a practical, highly accessible approach to creating graphical user interface designs for desktop, mobile, and touch screen devices. Written by an expert in the realm of digital design, this comprehensive, step-by-step guide demonstrates how to apply design principles in a variety of desktops, web pages, mobile devices and other touchscreens. Filled with straightforward strategies in a visual format, its an essential volume for any designer working in the digital realm.
2013-06-11 UI is Communication: How to Design Intuitive, User Centered Interfaces by Focusing on Effective Communication Morgan Kaufmann
ISBN 0123969808 ISBN-13 9780123969804
UI is Communication User interface design is a challenging, multi-disciplinary activity that requires an understanding of a wide range of concepts and techniques that are often subjective and even conflicting. This title explains how to design intuitive user interfaces by focusing on effective human communication. Full description
2013-07-26 Evil By Design: Interaction Design to Lead Us Into Temptation John Wiley & Sons
ISBN 1118422147 ISBN-13 9781118422144
Evil by Design How to make customers feel good about doing what you want Learn how companies make us feel good about doing what they want. Approaching persuasive design from the dark side, this book melds psychology, marketing, and design concepts to show why we're susceptible to certain persuasive techniques. Full description
2012-11-01 Interdisciplinary Interaction Design: A Visual Guide to Basic Theories, Models and Ideas for Thinking and Designing for Interactive Web Design and Digital Device Experiences Assiduous Publishing
ISBN 0982634811 ISBN-13 9780982634813
Interdisciplinary Interaction Design Interaction design has many dimensions to it. It addresses how people deal with words, read images, explore physical space, think about time and motion, and how actions and responses affect human behavior. Various disciplines make up interaction design, such as industrial design, cognitive psychology, user interface design and many others. It is my hope that this book is a starting point for creat... Full description
2011-01-09 Designing Interfaces O'Reilly Media
ISBN 1449379702 ISBN-13 9781449379704
Users demand applications that are well behaved, good-looking, and easy to use. This bestselling book captures UI best practices and reusable ideas as design patterns -- solutions to common design problems, tailored to the situation at hand.