COMP07162 2018 Scaling Networks
This course describes the architecture, components, and operations of routers and switches in larger and more complex networks. Students learn how to configure routers and switches for advanced functionality. By the end of this course, students will be able to configure and troubleshoot routers and switches and resolve common issues with OSPF, EIGRP, and STP in both IPv4 and IPv6 networks. Students will also develop the knowledge and skills needed to implement a WLAN in a small-to-medium network.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Explain why it is important to design a scalable hierarchial network and have the skills to select network devices based on feature compatibility and network requirement.
Explain, configure and troubleshoot enhanced inter-switch connectivity technologies with built in redundancy
Explain, configure and trouble the features and characteristics of dynamic routing protocols in order to improve network performance
Teaching and Learning Strategies
Simulation-based learning activities promote the exploration of networking concepts and allow students to experiment with network behaviour.
Hands-on labs help students develop critical thinking and complex problem solving skills.
Module Assessment Strategies
Formative assessment - 10 CCNA Scalling Networks quizes held on a weekely basis worth 50%. Students will be allowed to choose their best 8/10 quizes.
A summative practical exam on packet tracer to test the students ability to configure and troubleshoot networking concepts to meet the CCNA Scalling Networks requirements, this will be worth 50% CA.
Repeat quizes and/or practical to examine the learning outcomes that have not been achieved.
- Explain why it is important to design a scalable hierarchial network.
- Select network devices based on feature compatibility and network requirement.
- Configure enhanced inter-switch connectivity technologies such as VTP, Extended VLANs, and DTP
- Troubleshoot Multi-VLAN Issues in an inter-VLAN routing environment.
- Layer 3 Switching - Implement inter-VLAN routing using Layer 3 switching to forward data in a small to medium-sized business LAN.
- Spanning Tree Concepts - Build a simple switched network with redundant links.
- Explain how different varieties of spanning tree protocols operate.
- Implement PVST and Rapid PVST in a switched LAN environment.
Enterchannel and HSRP
- Explain link aggregation operation in a switched LAN environment.
- Implement link aggregation to improve performance on hightraffic switch links.
- First Hop Redundancy Protocols - Implement HSRP.
- Explain the features and characteristics of dynamic routing protocols.
- Explain how distance vector routing protocols operate.
- Explain how link-state protocols operate.
EIGRP configuration, tuning and troubleshooting
- Explain the features and characteristics of EIGRP.
- Implement EIGRP for IPv4 in a small to medium-sized business network.
- Explain how EIGRP operates in a small to medium-sized business network.
- Implement EIGRP for IPv6 in a small to medium-sized business network
- Configure EIGRP to improve network performance.
- Troubleshoot common EIGRP configuration issues in a small to medium-sized business network.
Sngle-Area and multiarea OSPF configuration, tuning and troubleshooting
- Explain single-area OSPF characteristics and how it operates.
- Single-Area OSPFv2 Implement single-area OSPFv2.
- Single-Area OSPFv3 Implement single-area OSPFv3.
- Explain how multiarea OSPF operates in a small to mediumsized business network.
- Implement multiarea OSPFv2 and OSPFv3.
- Configure OSPF to improve network performance.
- Troubleshoot common OSPF configuration issues in a small to medium-sized business network.
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Online Quizes for CCNA Scalling Networks||Continuous Assessment||Multiple Choice||50 %||OnGoing||1,2,3|
|2||Practical Implementation||Continuous Assessment||Practical Evaluation||50 %||Week 13||1,2,3|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Lecture||Lecture Theatre||Lecture Outline Theoretical Concepts||2||Weekly||2.00|
|Laboratory Practical||Computer Laboratory||Simulations implementing Theoretical concepts||2||Weekly||2.00|
|Independent Learning||Not Specified||Independant Leraning||3||Weekly||3.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
2017-08-20 Scaling Networks v6 Companion Guide Cisco Press
ISBN 1587134349 ISBN-13 9781587134340
2016-06-08 CCNA Routing and Switching Portable Command Guide (ICND1 100-105, ICND2 200-105, and CCNA 200-125) Cisco Press
ISBN 1587205882 ISBN-13 9781587205880
Simulation Software (Packet Tracer & GNS3)
IT Sligo Moodle Account