COMM07023 2013 Professional Development Skills
This module aims to further develop the learner's interpersonal communication and managerial skills in the context of professional work practice. Learners will participate in reflective activities that will facilitate the development and practice of professional business skills.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Identify communication strategies that illustrate personal effectiveness.
Apply creative and critical thinking in the context of change management.
Demonstrate effective facilitation skills in a team environment.
Relate an ability to monitor and manage information to personal development.
Appreciate the importance of ethical standards in a professional context.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
This module will be based on a constructivist approach. Students will be encouraged to explore concepts based on experiential learning and best practice. Guest lectures will feature as part of the teaching approach.
Module Assessment Strategies
This module will implement an enquiry-based learning approach with a focus on engagement in personal reflection.
The Assessment Startegy will include work-based case studies.
1. Communication Strategies:
- Self-Awareness & Self Concept
- Influence, Persuausion and Power Bases.
- Effective negotiation skills.
- Communicating a vision
- Personal Development Profiling & Marketing Yourself.
2. Creative and Critical Thinking:
- Types of thinking.
- Assessing your creative thinking ability
- Creativity and mangerial skills.
- Creative and Critical Thinking in the context of managing change.
3. Facilitation Skills:
- Building Top Teams.
- Participative Decsion-making.
- Leadership skills.
4. Monitoring and Managing Information:
- Managing data overload and information gaps.
- Managing your own work.
- Managing feedback and reviewing performance.
- Identifying performance criteria.
- Personal Development Planning
- Debate School of Thought e.g. Utilitarianism, Egoism, Relativism.
- Examine Corporate Social Responsibility in practice.
- Research sample Codes of conduct.
- Debate ethical issues.
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Formative and Summative Assessment Group Case Study||Continuous Assessment||UNKNOWN||40 %||Any||3,4|
|2||Continuous Assessment Self Review Questionnaires||Continuous Assessment||UNKNOWN||20 %||OnGoing||1,2,3,4|
|3||Individual Project Project & Presentation||Continuous Assessment||UNKNOWN||40 %||Any||1,2,5|
Part Time Mode Workload
|Lecture||Distance Learning Suite||Theory Lecture||2||Weekly||2.00|
|Tutorial||Distance Learning Suite||Learner Activities||2||Weekly||2.00|
|Independent Learning||UNKNOWN||Student Activities||4||Weekly||4.00|
Becoming a Master Manager: A Competing Values Approach, Quinn et al, 4thed 2007 Wiley & Sons
The Business Skills Handbook, Horn, R. 2009 CIPD
The Problem Solving Memory Jogger Goal QPC
HR for Line Managers Best Practice F Scott-Lennon & C Hannaway Management Briefs 2010