ARCH06039 2013 GEOPHYSICAL SURVEYING AND PROCESSING PRACTICAL
This module will include practical experience in using geophysical equipment and techniques in the field in addition to practice using various computer software packages in the processing of geophysical data and its integration with other forms of information.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Demonstrate the skills necessary to plan, execute and report a geophysical survey over an archaeological site.
Establish a geophysical survey grid.
Operate a range of different geophysical field equipment safely and competently and comply with best practice in the field.
Use dedicated software to download, edit and process simple geophysical data.
Construct simple maps of geophysical information and present geophysical results in a format that can be interpreted.
- Integrated survey methodology - Establish a geophysical survey grid
- Demonstration and Field Work: Magnetic gradiometer survey
- Demonstration and Field Work: Earth resistance survey
- Demonstration and Field Work: GPR Survey
- Data processing and image enhancement of geophysical results using appropriate software
- Integrated geophysical surveys for archaeological assessment
- Specifying and planning a geophysical survey
- Group Field work exercise at a suitable site
- Introduction to Surfer
- Integration of geophysical results with other archaeological/map data using Surfer
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Portfolio of exercises: Field work, field note books, presentation, short answer questions, group field project||Continuous Assessment||UNKNOWN||100 %||OnGoing||1,2,3,4,5,6|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Laboratory Practical||Flat Classroom||Laboratory Practical||3||Weekly||3.00|
|Independent Learning||UNKNOWN||Self study||4||Weekly||4.00|
David A, Linford N, Linford P, 2008. Geophysical survey in archaeological field evaluation. Product Code 51430. English Heritage Publishing. PDF version available on line at http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/upload/pdf/GeophysicsGuidelines.pdf
Gaffney, C., Gater, J., Ovenden, S. 1991, The Use of Geophysical Survey Techniques in Archaeological Evaluations. Institute of Field Archaeologists
Gaffney, C. and Gater, J. 2003 Revealing the buried past : Geophysics for archaeologists. Tempu
Schmidt, A. 2002. Geophysical Data in Archaeology - A Guide to Good Practice, Oxbow Books
Surfer® V. 10 User's Guide, Golden Software