ADMN07013 2016 Advanced Computer and Text Processing
This module develops the learners computer and word processing skills to an advanced level of competency. The module introduces the learner to desktop publishing software functions and principles of good design. The learner will use a variety of file and document formats. The module will also introduce the learner to specialised documents from a range of businesses and professions.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Demonstrate ability to effectively use word processing software to create usuable forms for publishing in both printed and online format.
Be able to use advanced features of word processing software to develop lengthy business documents that incorporate graphics and tables.
Demonstrate ability to produce marketing documentation in multiple formats using desktop publishing software.
Prepare documents reflective of specialised work selected from a broad range of businesses and professions.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
The Student will be given a practical demonstration of all of the functions and documents outlined in the syllabus and will complete tasks that allow them to develop both their knowledge and skills.
Module Assessment Strategies
The student will complete practical assessments at intervals and will produce a portfolio of work complete throughout the Semester.
Repeat practical assessments.
Advanced level Word Processing
- Forms - to include use of advanced features to create, edit, protect, to be outputted in both print format and publish online;
- Use of advanced table features including merging, converting, size, positioning in documents, sort, calculations and using tables within forms;
- Use of the Review function to conduct document comparisons and colloboration, track changes, include comments, research;
- Advanced use of the referencing features, including table of contents, managing citiations, referencing, list of figures, list of index, captions, footnotes and endnotes;
- Working with advanced graphics, texboxes, wordart, dropcaps, images, quickparts, smartart to create charts, graphs and embedding spreadsheet features into a document;
- Using advanced features to include numbering (multilevel), equations, bookmarks, create links, embedding objects and others.
- Introduction to desktop publishing software functions and principles of good design;
Layout Tools: Text/Table/WordArt/Clipart, Design Gallery, Working with Objects/Pictures/Tables, Typography, Page Layout, Colour Schemes, Templates;
Introduction to Image Editing Software;
Create business cards, letterheads, compliment slips, leaflets, brochures, forms, programmes, questionnaires, newsletters, booklets, business communication documents.
Professional Business Documentation
Create advanced business documents to include advanced forms, documents with multiple pages using styles, heading, formats, headers, footers, referencing, table of contents etc;
Advanced financial statements with graphics, charts, smartart etc.;
Create marketing documentation using both word processing and desktop publishing software;
Produce technical documents reflective of those used in specialised areas of industry such as legal and construction work.
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||In-class assessment at intervals to assess ability to use publishing and word software||Continuous Assessment||Assessment||50 %||Week 13||1,2,3,4|
|2||Practical in-class assessment ongoing - production of portfolio||Continuous Assessment||Assessment||30 %||Week 13||1,2,3,4|
|3||Project - production of documents for a business using publishing software||Project||Project||20 %||Week 10||3|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Laboratory Practical||Computer Laboratory||Practical with Lecturer||4||Weekly||4.00|
|Independent Learning||Computer Laboratory||Practice of application features and completion of tasks for assessment||1||Weekly||1.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
2013-10-24 Microsoft Publisher 2013: Illustrated Course Technology
ISBN 1285082710 ISBN-13 9781285082714
Praised by instructors for its concise, focused approach and user-friendly format, the Illustrated Series engages both computer rookies and hot shots in mastering Microsoft Publisher 2013 quickly and efficiently. Skills are accessible and easy-to-follow thanks to the Illustrated Series' hallmark 2-page layout, which allows students to see an entire task in one view. New Learning Outcomes outline the skills covered in each lesson, and larger full-color screens represent exactly what students should see on their own computers. Each unit begins with a brief overview of the principles of the lesson, and introduces a case study for further application.
2013-07-22 Advanced Word Processing, Lessons 56-110: Microsoft Word South-Western Educational Pub
ISBN 1133588964 ISBN-13 9781133588962
ADVANCED WORD PROCESSING, LESSONS 56-110, MICROSOFT WORD 2013, 19th Edition, will help you master the critical word processing skills most important for academic and career success. Using Microsoft Word 2013, you will build expertise in creating and formatting business correspondence, tables, reports, mail merge, advanced tables graphics, meeting/travel/news documents, legal documents, medical documents, and human resources/employment documents. When coupled with web-based Keyboarding Pro DELUXE Online (KPDO) software, you can work independently at home or at school with this easy-to-use integrated system.
2015-11-07 My Publisher 2016 (includes free Content Update Program) Que Publishing
ISBN 0789755696 ISBN-13 9780789755698
Book + Content Update Program
Microsoft's Publisher 2016 enables you to create professional-quality publications that help you succeed! If you want to make the most of Publisher, My Publisher 2016 is your must-have companion. Friendly, quick, and packed with real-world advice, it walks you through every task you'll want to perform, including:
- Getting started with Publisher 2016, and understanding what's new in this release
- Creating a new publication from scratch, or starting with content from other sources
- Making the most of Publisher's professional layouts with wizards and templates
- Incorporating online and social media content into your publications
- Adding professional effects and backgrounds
- Creating great newsletters, fliers, brochures, forms, business and greeting cards, banners, and many other publications
- Building customized emails with Publisher's mail merge
- Discovering shortcuts to build your publications faster and more efficiently
Every task is presented step-by-step, using carefully annotated, full-color screenshots, all numbered so there's no chance of getting lost of confused. Everything's clearly organized in modular, self-contained chapters designed to help you get more powerful results from Microsoft Publisher, and get them faster. Throughout, the book is packed with helpful tips and lists - plus quick solutions to the problems you're most likely to encounter.
In addition, this book is part of Ques exciting new Content Update Program. As Microsoft updates features of Publisher 2016, sections of this book will be updated or new sections will be added to match the updates to the software. The updates will be delivered to you via a FREE Web Edition of this book, which can be accessed with any Internet connection. To learn more, visit www.quepublishing.com/CUP.
How to access the free web edition: Follow the instructions within the book to learn how to register your book to access the FREE Web Edition.
Students will be provided with handouts during practicals to support learning.