ADMN06013 2016 Introduction to Computer and Text Processing 1
The aim of the module is to introduce the learner to computer systems and text processing. The module will provide the students with the aptitude to efficiently input data and provide them with a practical knowledge of the operations of a computer system with a focus on word processing software and file management.
This module has been designed for students with no formal or previous experience in Information Technology. It will provide an introduction to a range of practical skills that will enable students to use computers confidently in their everyday lives.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Demonstrate ability to effectively manage folders and files for later retrieval on a computer systems.
Be able to send and receive email's and use the Internet efficiently for meaningful searches.
Be able to setup and work on a word processing package and create usuable documents.
Create and edit varied basic business documents
Demonstrate ability to enter meaningful text at a speed of 25 wpm for 10 minutes with 97% accuracy.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
Practical demonstration of all areas will be given by lecturer with practice facilitate through completion of examples reflective of current business practice.
Module Assessment Strategies
In-class continuous assessment throughout the Semester to include practical examinations scheduled at intervals and completion of weekly tasks that will be submitted for correction.
Repeat Practical Assessment/Exam
Operations of Computer Systems and its components
- Understand elements of computer processing to include Input/Processing/Output hardware and software components;
- Recognise uses of control panel, add devices, open applications
- Understand features of different computer applications
- Understand different file types and importance of naming records/files correctly
- File naming conventions, types, extensions
- Setup Folders in different drives
- Be able to Name and save documents into folders and later retrieve
- Searching My Computer for files/folders
- Function of moving, copying files and folders
- Create Shortcuts
Computer Networks, Internet and Email
- Introduction to College Network, the Internet and how to retrieve information;
- Introduction to good email practice to include how to send, receieve, manage, file, print emails.
Create and Format Text using a Word Processing Application
- Introduction to basic functions of word processing software including inputting text, selecting, formatting text, paragraphs, page layout, insert
- Page orientation, margin setting and page setup suitable for task in hand
- Use of Tool Bars to emphasise text font style and size, line spacing, undo and redo, ruler and setting of tabs in text alignment
- Demonstrate the different types of headings and paragraphs using first line and hanging indents
- Using dictionaries and theasaurus for proofreading
- Select copy and paste, insert and replace
- Create, save, preview and print simple text
- Retrieve, edit, proof-read and save text
Creation/formatting of Business Documents
- Identify and understand correct and appropriate document format to include correct use of spacing, punctuation, spelling and suitable layouts for various documents.
- Use correct abbreviations and acceptable formats for numbers, measurements, weights, currency, dates and times.
- Create and edit various basic business documents to develop use of word processing software to include Display (with different heading styles), Letters, Reports (short), Meeting Documents, Itinerary, Advertisements etc.
- Proof read, spell and grammar check documents and output via saving to folder, email and print.
- Check the status of the printer
- Select document for printing
- Preview document for printing
- Select page range and number of copies
- Introduce correct posture, touch-typing techniques and develop keyboarding skills
- locate and operate alphabethical, numeric, punctuation, space bar backspace, shift, caps locks efficiently.
- Use the keyboard with confidence to type text accurately and develop speed and accuracy skills to acquire a minimum speed of 25 wpm with a maximum error level of 3%
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Practical in-class assessment - production of portfolio||Continuous Assessment||Practical Evaluation||20 %||OnGoing||3,4|
|2||In-class practical assessment at Intervals throughout the semester to assess File Management, Email, Word Processing, Computer System||Practical||Assessment||70 %||OnGoing||1,2,3,4|
|3||Keyboarding - Practical Speed and Accuracy Assessment||Practical||Practical Evaluation||10 %||End of Semester||5|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Laboratory Practical||Computer Laboratory||Practical with Lecturer||5||Weekly||5.00|
|Independent Learning||Not Specified||Develop Speed and Accuracy Typing Skills Practice - Independent||1||Weekly||1.00|
|Independent Learning||Not Specified||Practice Functions of Word Processing Software and operations of a computer||1||Weekly||1.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
Text Production with Microsoft Word 2007
ISBN 0717145778 ISBN-13 9780717145775
2007-05 Essential Computer Applications Gill & Macmillan Ltd
ISBN 0717142647 ISBN-13 9780717142644
2013-07-24 Keyboarding and Word Processing, Complete Course, Lessons 1-110: Microsoft Word 2013: College Keyboarding South-Western Educational Pub
ISBN 1133588972 ISBN-13 9781133588979
Get ready for academic and workplace success with KEYBOARDING AND WORD PROCESSING, COMPLETE COURSE, LESSONS 1-110, MICROSOFT 2013, 19th Edition. This market-leading text provides the tools you need to develop expertise in keyboarding, document formatting, and word processing skills using Microsoft Word 2013. To build proficiency in these critical job-ready skills, lessons are structured for maximum efficiency in learning and to encourage productivity. When coupled with Keyboarding Pro DELUXE Online (KPDO) web-based software you can work independently at home or at school with this easy-to-use integrated system.
Step by Step Computer Applications
ISBN 0717145603 ISBN-13 9780717145607
2012-05-04 The Basic Guide to Word Processing Gill & Macmillan Ltd
ISBN 0717149951 ISBN-13 9780717149957
The essential basic guide on how to use Microsoft Word 2007 and Microsoft Word 2010. Presented in three distinct sections: Unit 1 deals with both Microsoft Word 2007 and 2010 Unit 2 contains key pointers for text production Unit 3 deals with Microsoft Word 2003. Screen shots clearly indicate which button to press and what each screen should look like. Layout helps familiarise students with menus and toolbars, as well as tasks such as inserting, modifying and deleting text. Advanced features such as formatting text, working with tabs and indents, and adding a table to the document are also included. Practical questions are included throughout the text. Facilitates easy progression for the student from Microsoft Word 2003 to Microsoft Word 2007 and 2010. Unit 2 on text production includes: Accepted rules for spacing before and after punctuation Use of correct abbreviations for measurements, weights, money and time Application of block, indented and hanging paragraphs to text Use of main headings, sub-headings, side, shoulder and paragraph headings in text Standard correction signs for amending text ange and selection of paper sizes. Accessible, logical and extremely readable, this book has been student tested and approved! * Presented in four distinct units: * Unit 1: Microsoft Word 2010 * Unit 2: Microsoft Word 2007 * Unit 3: Top Tips for Text Production * Unit 4: Exercises * Screen shots clearly show how to use Microsoft Word 2007 and Microsoft Word 2010. * Takes a step-by-step approach to learning the Microsoft Word package. * Deals with areas such as formatting text, tabs, tables, layout and mail merge. * Top Tips for Text Production deals with spacing, punctuation, paragraphing, headings and correction signs. * It is a practical beginners' guide for Microsoft Word 2007 * Includes a comprehensive exercise section for practice learning. * Accessible, logical and extremely readable, this book has been student tested and approved! WRITTEN FOR: FETAC Level 5 Word Processing FETAC Level 5 Text Production VTOS courses
Practical Manual and Notes compiled by the lecturer will be provided at practicals which include how to effectively use the functions of word and the development of keyboarding skills.